- For the Census Designated area in Montgomery County formerly known as Mechanicsville see Olney, Maryland
Amish horse and buggy parking space, July 2016.
|Elevation||48 m (157 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||301 and 240|
|GNIS feature ID||594822|
Mechanicsville is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in St. Mary's County, Maryland. It is adjacent to the community of Charlotte Hall, which is known for its agriculture, Amish population, large farmers' market/flea market, and the Maryland Veterans Home. Mechanicsville has many small businesses and restaurants along Maryland Route 5 and Maryland Route 235. This community is served by the St. Mary's County Public Schools including Chopticon High School. As of the 2010 Census, Mechanicsville had a population of 1,508 people.
The Amish community in the Mechanicsville area consists of 8 church districts and about 1,000 people. The Amish first came to the area in 1940 after some members left the Amish community in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania over a conflict with schooling. The Amish in St. Mary's County maintain dairy and produce farms along with small Amish businesses. There is also an Old Order Mennonite community in the Mechanisville area. In recent years, increasing development has threatened the Amish community.
- Jerome Adams, 20th Surgeon General of the United States and former Indiana State Health Commissioner.
- Robert E. Fistick, Noted national journalist and newspaper publisher with the Gannett, Hearst, and Whitney publishing organizations, and later a deputy director at The Library of Congress.
- Rep. Steny Hoyer member of the Democratic Party who is the House Majority Leader (used to be House Minority Whip) of the United States House of Representatives.
- Daryl Thompson, Major League Baseball pitcher (and a 2003 graduate of La Plata High School).
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Mechanicsville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|This article about a location in St. Mary's County Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|