|• Total||1.37 Lakh|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mecheri is a small rural town,which administrates 31 villages in its boundary covering the land area of about 230 km2. Mecheri is placed over the slope off terrain, covered by beautiful green meadows, Farm fields,numerous varieties of tress especially Neem, Asian Palmyra palm, coconut trees etc... Terrain of the region is dealt with minor mountain ranges, which enhance moderate weather condition across the year.This region got a vibrant culture dating back to the ancient Chola Nadu, currently, Mecheri is a panchayat union and a major road junction between mettur town, Salem and Dharmapuri city.
As of 2014[update] India census, Mecheri holding a population of 1,37,020 as per latest survey. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Mecheri has an average literacy rate of 59%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 75%, and female literacy is 65%. In Mecheri, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Mecheri is one of the holy sites where the omnipotent goddess in the form of "Vada Bhadrakeli" is showering her blessings to the universe. There are wide conifers and mandapams surrounding the temple. Rajagopuram is main entrance to the temple facing north.Temple is situated in south-east direction in the heart of Mecheri town along Salem and Dharmapuri highway on either side. Besides this, there are three rajagopurams in other three directions.
- Arulmigu Eshwaran, Arulmigu Perumal, Arulmigu Murugan, Arulmigu Shakthi Vinayagar and Shakthi Mariamman Temples are also located in the town.
- Other Famous Temples around the Town
- Arulmigu Sri Sakthi Mariamman Temple Pavalathampatti, Malayanur.
- Arulmigu Agni mariamman Temple,Thethigiripatti and Arulmigu Kamatchiamman Temple, Amaram
- Arulmigu pacha thani mariamman Temple,katcharayanoor, ( 1200 years Old)
- Arulmigu Madeswaran Temple, Virudasampatti
- Arulmigu Shakthi Vinayagar and Shakthi Mariamman Temple, Pottaneri and Sevalanoor etc.
- Arulmigu Narashima Swamy Temple, Mallikundam, ( 1200 years Old )
- Arulmigu Thimmaraya Swamy Temple, Mallikundam, ( 1200 years Old)
- Arulmigu Thimmaraya Swamy Temple, Mallikundam, ( 1200 years Old)
Agriculture is the mainstay of this region as about 70% of the population is engaged in Agriculture. Major Field Crops cultivated are
- Cereals and Pulses: Rice, Jowar (Cholam), Bajra (Cumbu), Ragi, Maize, Korra, Varagu, Samai etc. and Toor dhal,Bengalgram, Redgram, Greengram, Blackgram, Horsegram,bean varieties, Other pulses etc.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Plenty of custard apple, Plantain, Mango, Watermelon, Cucumber, Chikku, Pomegranate, Lemon etc. and Tomato, Chillies, Brinjal, Pumpkin, Ladies-finger, Bitter gourd, snake gourd, bottle gourd, Greens, bush-beans etc.
- Cash crops: Turmeric, Sugarcane, Tapioca, Cotton, Groundnut etc.
Livestock and Poultry
- Mecheri is famous for "Kurumbai sheep" livestock a kind of sheep is grown in large numbers, also a major line of work to the people addition to agriculture.
- In order to develop and encourage the sheep farming government of Tamil Nadu started "Mecheri Sheep Research Station", on 05.06.1978 at Pottaneri panchayat of Mecheri block in Salem district with the aim of improving the Mecheri sheep, which was considered to be the best indigenous mutton breed of Tamil Nadu.
- Major Livestock grown in this region are cow, sheep, goat, buffalo, pigs etc. and Nattu-Kozhi (country chicken) is the famous poultry raised in most of the homes, along with few broiler farms are also Kept in this region.
- Wednesday Market is famous people gathering Point in the town, all surrounding village Farmers and general public will meet at one point, which is colloquially called "sandhai", to Sell or Buy the following commodities.
- Farm /Agricultural products (Paddy,maize,ragi,corn,gingelly,varieties of bean,fruits,vegetables etc...)
- Livestock or domesticated animals (goat/sheep,Rooster,hen,cow,buffalo etc..)
- Poultry (chicken meat), lamb & mutton meat, Beef, fresh & dry fish, pork etc...
- Variety of groceries items with a wholesale price.
- A collection of local crispy, delicious eatables like masalapori (Kadalipori), corns (cholakadhir), tapioca (maravalli kilangu),sugarcane juices, Vadas / Pakodas (Meduvadai, Masala Vadai and Bonda) etc.
- Sri Meenakshi Super Market and Ranga Departmental stores are famous shopping place in the town, for getting all kind of groceries/Provisions items and stationery.
- Southern Iron and Steel Company Ltd (joint venture with JSW Steel) the first integrated steel plant of India at a cost of 2,235 Crore, is located in Pottaneri Panchayat, which is 5 km from Mecheri for the production of TMT corrosion resistant bars/alloy steels.
- Mecheri also contributing for the hand-loom industry is one of the most ancient cottage industries and producing quality sari, dothi and angavasthram out of silk yarn and cotton yarn. In the recent past, home furnishing items are also woven, mainly for export purposes.
Mecheri has Government and Private Schools and Colleges for Primary,Higher secondary and graduation studies both arts and science and engineering
- The Kavery institutions, famous for engineering, education and Polytechnic colleges, is located 2 km from Mecheri at M. Kalipatti, which is a famous and well known institutions in the entire state,produces thousands of engineers with excellent Job placement.
- Sri Balamurugan Arts and Science College is a Dynamic Institute of Higher Education run by Sri Balamurugan Educational and Charitable Trust. The College was started in June 2004 with a view to imparting higher education to students who come from rural areas.The College is making a stride in providing comprehensive Arts and Science education
- Number of Elementary schools and Anganvady centers are located at all major villages based on demand and population along entire Mecheri panchayat union to facilitate primary education for the children up-to class V
- Government Boys and Girls Higher Secondary School, Mecheri
- Sri Raghavendra Matric. Hr.sec.school,Mecheri.
- Meenampark Matriculation school, Mecheri
- SSV-Matriculation and CBSE Schools, Kuttapatti
- SRV-Matriculation and CBSE schools, Pottaneri
- Vivekananda Matriculation, Mecheri
- Swamy Vivekananda Nursery School, Mecheri
- Sri Raghavendra Nursery & Primary School,Mecheri
- State Bank of India
- Indian Bank
- Axis Bank
- Corporation Bank (ATM Only)
- Laksmi vilas
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Federal bank
- Mecheri lies on State Highway 20, which is Bhavani-Thoppur connection, Thoppur is 20 km from Mecheri, Which further leads to Dharmapuri Via National Highway -44 (National Highway 7 (India)(old numbering)) (major North - south connection from Kashmir - Kanyakumari). Bhavani is 60 km away, which connects to Erode and Coimbatore Via NH-47.
- Another MDR (Major District Road) from Mecheri is Destine to Omalur (20 km away) to reach salem, after omalur its will join with NH-44 till Salem city. Direct Bus facility is available at every 5 Mins to Salem and Mettur (To and Fro) and 10 mins to Dharmapuri and erode to and fro during day time.
- Road network connectivity is properly linked from mecheri to all villages/towns in and around, government and private buses are also plying between all nearby town like Pennagaram, Tharamangalam, Nangavalli, Jalakandapuram, Thoppur, Vellar etc., and across major village settlements from Mecheri.
- Scheduled Government available Chennai,Bangalore, Erode, Coimbatore, MelMadeswaram, Mysore etc. and Omni Buses are available to Chennai, Bangalore etc.. operated by MSS and KPN bus services.
- Rail connectivity is available 4 km from Mecheri town at Mecheri road railway station, which is in the Salem–Mettur Dam railway division. Trains starting from Mettur are en route to Salem and Erode Junction. From Salem and Erode rail connectivity is available for the whole of India.
- Link train facility is available to connect with the Chennai – Salem Superfast Express, which is a daily service to Chennai Egmore starting from Mettur Dam, similarly in the return direction.
- Salem Airport (India) (IATA: SXV, ICAO: VOSM) is sited 20 km from Mecheri, along Salem-Bangalore Highway (NH-7) in a place called Kaamalapuram near Omalur.
- Though the Airports Authority of India (AAI) had spruced up the airport and made it ready for operation in 1993, airlines did not show interest to fly fearing low patronage.
- Kingfisher Airlines did provide a service from Chennai, but terminated the service in 2012 owing to its financial problems.
- In recent times however, SpiceJet has shown some interest in starting flights to Salem.
Mecheri receives scanty rainfalland has moderate-dry weather throughout except during the monsoon season. Generally, the first two months of the year are pleasant, with summer beginning around March. The highest temperatures normally occur during May. This period of time sees scanty rainfall. The climate becomes more temperate during June–July period. During this pre-monsoon period, the mercury reverses its upward trend, and by August, the sky becomes overcast, heavily, but the rains are meager. The northeast monsoon sets in vigorously during September–November; by December, the rains disappear, rendering the climate clear and pleasant.
|Climate data for Mecehri, India|
|Average high °C (°F)||29
|Average low °C (°F)||19
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||14.0
|Source: Indian Meteorological Department|
- Yercaud Yercaud is the nearest hill station of about 55 km from Mecheri, Salem District.It is located in the Shevaroys range of hills in the Eastern Ghats; .It is situated at an altitude of 1,515 metres (4,970 feet) above sea level, the highest point in Yercaud is the Servarayan temple, at 5,326 feet (1,623 m)
- About 50 km from Mecheri wonderful water falls is situated in a place called Hoganakkal,which is a channel line of cauvery river water from Karnataka to Tamil Nadu,lies in dharmapuri district.
- Male Mahadeshwarabetta, Karnataka is a hill temple of Lord Eswaran, which is 68 km from Mecehri, a famous pilgrimage center for people around the town.
- Mettur Dam Park is another scenic recreational center close to Mecheri.
- 10 km from Mecheri a village called Koonadiyur gets the cauvery river water as a back water from Stanley reservoir is a lovely river side location.
Badhrakaliamman Temple Photos
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2014 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Climatological Information for Chennai". Indian Meteorological Department. Retrieved 25 January 2009.