A Mechina Kdam-Tzvait (Hebrew: מכינה קדם צבאית; "pre-military preparatory", plural מכינות Mechinot) is an autonomous unit of specialized educational institutions valuing non-formal education and pre-military training in Israel. Funded and supported by the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Defense, as well as by the Israeli Defense Forces. As for 2017, there are 46 mechinot whose mission is to prepare for the conscientious service in the army, and to educate leaders of local communities that could affect society and state. Educational program blocks mostly include: Judaism and Jewish identity, Zionism, development of leadership skills, volunteering, and elements of military training. Most mechina programs last one academic year.
- 1 Students
- 2 Alumni
- 3 Pre-army Mechinot
- 4 College preparatory programs
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Almost 90% of Mechina graduates hold high posts in the IDF, according to the Mechina Law, which was adopted by the Knesset in 2008. This is often work in combat and special units that directly deal with hostilities.
25% of officer graduates and 10% of graduates of the prestigious pilots course at the Israeli Air Force Flight Academy are previous Mechina graduates. Commanders of battalions and divisions give preference to graduates of mechinas, as the year of training, personal development and volunteering prepares them to become mature leaders who are ready to take responsibility, lead by example, and solve difficult situations that demand a high morale and serious experience with human dilemmas.
There are four types of pre-army Mechinot:
Religious pre-army Mechina
A religious Mechina is intended for graduates of a Yeshiva high school or a religious high school, and prepares them for their service in the Israel Defense Forces. Focus is placed on preparing them for the encounter with secular society in the army by studying Jewish thought, beliefs, and outlooks. Students also prepare physically for their service period, and receive leadership training from active-duty officers.
Other religious Mechinot:
- Ateret Cohanim in (East Jerusalem)
- AMIT Rosh Pina in Rosh Pinna
- Arzei HaLevanon in Ma'ale Efraim (West Bank)
- Carmey Hayil in Beit Rimon
- Hemdat Yehuda in Hemdat (West Bank)
- Elisha in Halamish (West Bank)
- Eretz HaTzvi in Peduel (West Bank)
- Katzrin in Katzrin (Golan Heights)
- Kiryat Malachi in Kiryat Malachi
- Keshet Yehuda Pre Military Academy in Keshet (Golan Heights)
- Magen Shaul in Nokdim (West Bank)
- Maskiot in Shadmot Mehola (West Bank)
- Otzem AKA Atzmona after their previous location, currently located in Nave.
- Yatir in Beit Yatir (West Bank)
- Yemin Orde in Hatzor HaGlilit
Secular pre-army Mechina
A secular Mechina focuses on preparing high school graduates for citizenship as well as IDF service. The program of studies covers leadership, principles, and practice of democracy, volunteer service to the community, ideological and individual identity, Zionism, Jewish history and heritage, philosophy, and more. While "secular" in matters of religious observance, the program of study includes Judaism with a focus on ethics and tradition.
Other secular Mechinot:
- Aderet at Moshav Aderet
- Meitzar (Golan Heights)
- Ma'ayan Baruch
- Mechinat BINA in Tel Aviv
- Mechinat Rabin in Kiryat Tiv'on
- Mechinat Hanegev
- Minsharim Kalu at Ma'agan Michael
- Mechinat Be'er Ora
Joint religious and secular pre-army Mechina
The joint religious and secular Mechinot were founded to help bridge the widening gaps in Israeli society. As such, they focus on teaching a range of subjects to a mixed student body, including Zionism, leadership, Judaism, political science, philosophy, alongside intensive community and societal involvement and volunteering.
Joint religious and secular Mechinot:
- The Hannaton Mechina at Kibbutz Hannaton (Masorti/Conservative)
- Beit Yisrael at Kibbutz Beit Yisrael in Gilo (East Jerusalem)
- Ein Prat (Co-ed) in Kfar Adumim (West Bank)
- Gal (a new mechina) in Akko
- Jaffa (Reform) in Tel Aviv-Jaffa
- Amichai (Co-ed) in Kibbutz Kramim
- Nachshon (Co-ed) has three campuses in the Northern Negev
Many Mechinas accept Jewish students from abroad who are looking for an immersive Gap Year experience in Israel with Israelis. There are two English speaking Mechinas that are designed specifically to serve the needs of its international students. Mechinat "Kol Ami" is operated by the Jewish Agency and "Artzi" is an independent Mechina that specializes in drama and the arts.
College preparatory programs
Several frameworks operate in Israel to prepare for entrance to institutions of higher (post-secondary) education, those students who otherwise lack the necessary academic qualifications. These are geared for various populations.
These are operated by Israeli universities, for students with an Israeli high school education.
A Mechinat Olim (Hebrew: מכינת עולים; immigrants' preparatory) is designed specifically for prospective, new, or recent immigrants intending to study in an Israeli institution of higher education. The programs are generally conducted for one year, and all courses are taught in Hebrew. The program has two basic goals:
- to raise the student's level of Hebrew, including those who started with no prior knowledge of the language, suitable for enrolling in post-secondary academic coursework
- acquainting the student with academic material as taught in the Hebrew language, including subjects from the Israeli curriculum such as Civics and Jewish History
Mechinot Olim offer different content-based tracks of study (i.e. Life Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, or Physical Science). The Technion will only accept students from its own Mechina.
Remedial courses preparatory to higher education
In addition to the above, there are private (i. e., commercial) educational institutions in Israel offering remedial courses for students after high school who wish to complete or upgrade their scores in their subject matriculations or prepare for the psychometric examinations required for entrance to college or university.
- Bnei David
- The Pre-Military Academy (Mechina) "Ateret"
- Mechina Kdam Tzvait – Arzei Halevanon located in Ma'ale Ephraim Archived 2007-04-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Website of the Pre-Military Program – Mechina Carmei Hayil
- Mission Introducing - Hemdat Yehuda Pre-army Preparatory Yeshiva Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- A Slice of Life. The Asheris Mourn their Son Eliyahu
- Children and Youth at Risk[dead link] The Pratt Foundation, Israel
- Magen Shaul Mechina Archived 2011-07-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- Daniel Ben Simon: Men in suits at Maskiot March 04 2007, Haaretz.com
- Premilitary Preparatory Yeshiva Beit Yatir Archived 2008-12-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Meron Rapoport: PA: Decision to move W. Bank fence undermines peace efforts February 02, 2007, Haaretz.com]
- Ethan Bronner: Accounts of Gaza Killings Raise Furor in Israel March 19, 2009, The New York Times
- Jerusalem Foundation Dedicates Newly Renovated Beit Matanya Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Israeli Academy for Leadership Archived 2009-03-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jewish Agency for Israel, Two Army Mechinot
- Rochelle Furstenberg: Israeli Life: Idealism From Below Hadassah Magazine, October 2008 Vol. 90 No. 2