|413 enrolled members|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Christianity, traditional tribal religions|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Maidu people|
The Mechoopda are a tribe of Maidu people, an indigenous peoples of California. They are enrolled in the Mechoopda Indian Tribe of Chico Rancheria, a federally recognized tribe. Historically, the tribe has spoken Konkow, a language related to the Maidu language, and as of 2010, has created digital learning materials from old recordings of Emma Cooper, made during the 1940s as a part of the war effort.
The tribe was formerly centered in a village located about 3+1⁄2 miles (5.6 km) south of contemporary Chico, California. The Tribe was terminated in 1967, losing its 26-acre Chico Rancheria. Today, approximately one-half of the old Chico Rancheria is now owned by California State University, Chico (CSUC). The 11-acre university-owned portion of the former reservation is used by CSUC's agriculture, anthropology, and archaeology students.
The Mechoopda regained federal recognition in 1992.
The Mechoopda Indian Tribe ratified their constitution on 1 February 1998. The tribe is governed by a seven-member council. The current administration is as follows:
- Tribal Chairman: Dennis Ramirez
- Vice Chairperson: Sandra Knight:
- Treasurer: Robyn Forristel
- Secretary: Roberta Lewis
- Member-at-Large: Paulita Hopper
- Member-at-Large: Cassy Wilson
- Member-at-Large: Kyle McHenry
- "Tribal Government." Archived 2012-10-22 at the Wayback Machine Mechoopda Maidu Indians. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Meridith J. Cooper (2010-09-30). "Preserving Mechoopda tradition – A young tribe member creates a learning program using old recordings of the native language". Chico News & Review. Retrieved 2012-07-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park". EveryTrail. Retrieved 2012-07-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Conversation with Tribal Chairman Steve Santos". Inside Chico State – Volume 36 Number 3. Archived from the original on 2014-03-30. Retrieved 2013-05-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tribal Government." Mechoopda Indian Tribe of Chico Ranchería. Tribal Council. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "California Indians and Their Reservations: Chico Rancheria." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. Retrieved 31 August 2012.