Meckering, Western Australia
|Population||265 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||203 m (666 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Cunderdin|
|State electorate(s)||Central Wheatbelt|
A railway line was completed in the area in 1895 and Meckering was selected as a station site. The first name chosen for the townsite was Beebering, the Aboriginal name for the hills just north of the town.
The townsite of Beebering was gazetted in 1895. The name of the town was changed to Meckering in 1897 to agree with the station name and the name for the town that was used locally. Meckering is an Aboriginal word thought to mean "moon on the water" or "good hunting".
In early 1898 the population of the town was 225, 150 males and 75 females.
At 10:59 am on 14 October 1968, a 40-second earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter Scale destroyed the town, and had effect on a considerable area in the south western region of Western Australia. Surface faulting was up to 3 metres high, and almost 40 km long. As it was a public holiday, the risk of casualties was reduced. Buildings in the metropolitan area of Perth were damaged as a result of the earthquake, and tremors were felt as far away as Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Esperance, and Albany. The building codes and various structural issues for Western Australia were modified as a result of the earthquake and further development of earthquake engineering. The memory and significance of the event is commemorated by the local and wider community in a number of ways.
A later earthquake at Cadoux in 1979 was on a par with the Meckering event in some people's memories, although less damage occurred in Perth.
Meckering is a main stopping point for freight trucks on the way to the eastern states.
Passenger rail service
|Preceding station||Transwa Trains network||Following station|
East Perth – Merredin
towards East Perth
East Perth – Kalgoorlie
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Meckering (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – M". Retrieved 16 September 2008.
- "Population of Western Australia". Western Mail. Perth: National Library of Australia. 22 April 1898. p. 23. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Country elevators". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 6 July 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "CBH receival sites" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Quake Havoc: 20 Hurt in Country Towns" (JPG). The West Australian. Perth. 15 October 1968. Retrieved 18 July 2008.[dead link]
- Everingham, I.B. and P.J. Gregson "Meckering earthquake intensities and notes on earthquake risk for Western Australia", Earthquake Engineering Symposium, Melbourne, 16–18 October 1969. Melbourne, Vic: Institution of Engineers, Australia, Victoria Division, Structural Branch, The Institution of Engineers, Australia, Victoria Division Structural Branch, in association with the Australian Institute of Physics, Geophysics Group
- McCue, K.F. (1973) Report on the seismicity of Western Australia. Melbourne, Vic: Commonwealth of Australia, Dept. of Works
- "Meckering 18 years after the earthquake", The West Australian, 29 November 1986, p. 37
- Souvenir booklet 1988: Meckering earthquake – 14 October 1968, Meckering Agricultural Society (Inc.) compiled by Peter and Joy Kelly [et al.] for the Meckering Agricultural Society (Inc.)
- Gale, Allen "Remembering Meckering...30 years ago". Recounts the earthquake at Meckering. Remembrance activities included an SES operational exercise and display of capabilities. Western alert, Summer 1998/1999, p. 33, p. 35
- Laud, Peter "Miracle of Meckering. 30 years after the town's biggest earthquake – locals reminisce and talk about changes to Meckering" Sunday Times (Perth, W.A.), 13 September 1998, Sunday section, p. 6-7
- Geological Survey of Western Australia (1975), The Geology of Western Australia, Western Australia Geological Survey, ISBN 978-0-7244-6084-7 – section Southwestern Province by I.R. Williams page 65
- AvonLink Timetable
- Prospector Timetable
- Gordon, F.R and J.D. Lewis (1980) The Meckering and Calingiri earthquakes October 1968 and March 1970 Geological Survey of Western Australia Bulletin 126 ISBN 0-7244-8082-X