Meckering, Western Australia
|Population||265 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||203 m (666 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Cunderdin|
|State electorate(s)||Central Wheatbelt|
A railway line was completed in the area in 1895 and Meckering was selected as a station site. The first name chosen for the townsite was Beebering, the Aboriginal name for the hills just north of the town.
The townsite of Beebering was gazetted in 1895. The name of the town was changed to Meckering in 1897 to agree with the station name and the name for the town that was used locally. Meckering is an Aboriginal word thought to mean "moon on the water" or "good hunting".
In early 1898 the population of the town was 225, 150 males and 75 females.
The earthquake occurred at 10:58:52 local time, with a moment magnitude of 6.5 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). Total damage amounted to $2.2 million with 20–28 injured.[according to whom?]
Meckering is a main stopping point for freight trucks on the way to the eastern states.
Passenger rail service
|Preceding station||Transwa||Following station|
towards East Perth
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Meckering (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – M". Retrieved 16 September 2008.
- "Population of Western Australia". Western Mail. Perth: National Library of Australia. 22 April 1898. p. 23. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Country elevators". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 6 July 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "CBH receival sites" (PDF). 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 March 2012. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Bunbury, Bill, 1940-; ABC Radio (Australia). Social History Unit (1986), The Story of the Meckering earthquake, ABC Radio Tapes, retrieved 13 March 2019CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Prospector Timetable" (PDF). Transwa. Public Transport Authority. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 June 2020. Retrieved 28 June 2020.
- Gordon, F.R and J.D. Lewis (1980) The Meckering and Calingiri earthquakes October 1968 and March 1970 Geological Survey of Western Australia Bulletin 126 ISBN 0-7244-8082-X
- History of earthquakes in Western Australia
- Shire of Cunderdin – History of Meckering
- Meckering earthquake