|District of Telangana|
|• District collector||Bharathi Hollikeri|
|• Total||2,740.89 km2 (1,058.26 sq mi)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
In 20th century Medak district was a part of Nizam princely State before independence and merged into Hyderabad State in Independent India and presently a district of Telangana. Qutub Shahis named it as Gulshanabad which means "city of gardens" due to its luscious greenery. The district is currently a part of the Red Corridor.
The district is spread over an area of 2,740.89 square kilometres (1,058.26 sq mi).
In 2006 the Indian government named Medak one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the thirteen districts in Andhra Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The district is divided into two revenue divisions of Medak, Narsapur and Tupran. These are sub-divided into sixteen mandals and has 381 villages. Bharathi Hollikeri is the present collector of the district.
|S.No.||Medak revenue division||Narsapur revenue division||Tupran revenue division|
- "Telangana New Districts Names 2016 Pdf TS 31 Districts List". Timesalert.com. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Profile". Medak District. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Comprehensive History and Culture of Andhra Pradesh: Pre- and protohistoric ... - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- v ramchandra rao. "Prehistoric rock art near Hyderabad, India". Indculture0.tripod.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- During the era of Qutub Shahis this was named as Gulshanabad due to its vegetation and gardens. later it was again changed to Medak district. http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/treasuring-the-prehistoric-rock-art/article2046635.ece
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "New districts". Andhra Jyothy.com. 8 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "K Chandrasekhar Rao appoints collectors for new districts". Deccan Chronicle. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Clipping of Andhra Jyothy Telugu Daily - Hyderabad". Andhra Jyothy. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Medak district.|
- Medak (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage