Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg"
|Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg"|
Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" (obverse)
|Awarded by USSR|
|Eligibility||Citizens of the Soviet Union|
|Awarded for||Participation in the capture of Königsberg|
|Status||No longer awarded|
|Established||June 9, 1945|
Ribbon of the Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg"
The Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" (Russian: Медаль «За взятие Кёнигсберга») was a World War II campaign medal of the Soviet Union established on June 9, 1945 by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR to satisfy the petition of the People's Commissariat for Defense of the Soviet Union for recognition of the participants of the battle to capture the city of Königsberg from the armed forces of Nazi Germany. The medal's statute was amended on July 18, 1980 by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR № 2523-X.
The Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" was awarded to soldiers of the Red Army, Navy, and troops of the NKVD, direct participants of the heroic assault and capture of Königsberg as well as to the organizers and leaders of combat operations in the capture of this city.
Award of the medal was made on behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on the basis of documents attesting to actual participation in the capture of Königsberg. Serving military personnel received the medal from their unit commander, retirees from military service received the medal from a regional, municipal or district military commissioner in the recipient's community.
The Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" was worn on the left side of the chest and in the presence of other awards of the USSR, was located immediately after the Medal "For the Capture of Budapest". If worn in the presence of Orders or medals of the Russian Federation, the latter have precedence.
The Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" was a 32 mm in diameter circular brass medal with a raised rim on the obverse. On its obverse at the top, a small relief five pointed star with divergent rays. Below the star, the relief inscription in bold letters on three rows "FOR THE CAPTURE OF KÖNIGSBERG" (Russian: «ЗА ВЗЯТИЕ КЕНИГСБЕРГА»). At the bottom, the relief image of a horizontal laurel branch. On the reverse at the top, a relief plain five pointed star, below the star, the relief date in three rows "10 APRIL 1945" (Russian: «10 АПРЕЛЯ 1945»).
The Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" was secured by a ring through the medal suspension loop to a standard Soviet pentagonal mount covered by a 24mm wide silk moiré ribbon with 2 mm green edge stripes and five 4 mm wide alternating stripes, three black and two green.
- Marshal of the Soviet Union Aleksandr Mikhaylovich Vasilevsky
- Marshal of the Soviet Union Konstantin Ksawerowicz Rokossovsky
- Admiral Vladimir Filippovich Tributs
- Marshal of the Soviet Union Pyotr Kirillovich Koshevoi
- Army General Ivan Ivanovich Fedyuninsky
- Marshal of the Soviet Union Ivan Khristoforovich Bagramyan
- Army General Kuzma Nikitovich Galitsky
- Captain 3rd grade Michael Petrovich Tsiselsky
- Military photographer Yevgeny Anan'evich Khaldei
- Chief Marshal of Aviation Alexander Yevgeniyevich Golovanov
- People's Artist of the USSR Yevgeny Yakovlevich Vesnik
- Chief Marshal of Artillery Mitrofan Ivanovich Nedelin
- Lieutenant General Alexander Ignatyevich Molodchy
- Chief Petty Officer Ekaterina Mikhailova-Demina
- Painter Mikhail Evdokimovich Tkachev
- Major Avraham Isaakovich Shifrin
- Captain Nikolai Ivanovich Fomin
- Guards Private Mikhail Ivanovich Gavrilov
- Senior Lieutenant Il'ya Mikhailovich Pankov
- Colonel Stepan Grigor'evich Boïko
- Lieutenant General Alexander Sergeevich Ksenofontov
- Colonel Pavel Sergeevich Korchmaryuk
- Major General Viktor Petrovich Beltiukov
- Major Ivan Pavlovich Shitikov
- Major General Anatoly Ivanovich Bankuzov
- Major General Georgy Borisovich Peters
- Guards Colonel Sergei Grigor'evich Demanovska
- Colonel Stepan Yakovlevich Nehaenko
- Lieutenant Colonel Stepan Nikolaevich Borozenets
- Major General Vladimir Konstantinovich Polupanov
- Colonel Anatoly Vasilievich Dorofeev
- Sub-Colonel Alexander Grigoryevich Turutin
- "Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of June 9, 1945" (in Russian). Legal Library of the USSR. 1945-06-09. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of July 18, 1980 № 2523-X" (in Russian). Legal Library of the USSR. 1980-07-18. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of September 7, 2010 No 1099" (in Russian). Russian Gazette. 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "List of recipients of the Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" compiled from en.Wikipedia". English Wikipedia.
- "List of recipients of the Medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" compiled from ruWikipedia" (in Russian). Russian Wikipedia.