Medal "For the Return of Crimea"
|Medal "For the Return of Crimea"|
Медаль «За возвращение Крыма»
Obverse of the medal
|Awarded by the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation|
|Awarded for||Service in Crimea during the 2014 Russian annexation|
|Campaign(s)||Russian military intervention in Ukraine|
|Established||March 21, 2014|
|First awarded||March 24, 2014|
|Next (higher)||Medal "For Labour Valour"|
|Next (lower)||Medal "Mikhail Kalashnikov"|
Ribbon of the medal
The Medal "For the Return of Crimea" (Russian: Медаль «За возвращение Крыма») is a Russian campaign medal of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. The existence of the awards was also confirmed by Yaroslav Roshchupkin, an employee of the Central Military press service.
The medal was awarded to military and civilian personnel of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation for services and distinction displayed during the Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation, the March 16, 2014 Crimean status referendum, and the entry of Crimea into the Russian Federation as the result of the referendum. The medal can also be awarded to other citizens of the Russian Federation and to foreign citizens for assistance in solving the tasks assigned to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation relating to these security measures taken in the Crimea. A similar medal, "For the Liberation of the Crimea" was awarded to Chechen president Ramzan Kadyrov and Krasnodar Krai governor Aleksandr Tkachyov, as well as the Night Wolves leader Alexander Zaldostanov for "helping Crimeans to achieve self-determination".
It was widely reported in the media when a 'Crimea medal' was to be put on auction in Moscow on the 13th of April 2019 by Igor Strelkov, a Russian former militant commander involved in the wars in Ukraine. This medal was however not the one described above, but one made by a private initiative.
- "Хронологический перечень приказов Министра обороны Российской Федерации" [Chronological list of orders of the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation] (in Russian). Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation. p. 424. Archived from the original on 2015-04-20. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- "Минобороны России учредило медаль "За возвращение Крыма"" [Ministry of Defense of Russia established a medal "For the Return of Crimea"] (in Russian). Gazeta.ru. 2014-03-25. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "Putin.War (so-called Nemtsov-Report)". Retrieved 2015-06-11.
- "Order of the Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation of March 21, 2014 № 160" (in Russian). Sammler.ru. 2014-03-21. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Tschetschenien-Chef Kadyrow bekommt Medaille „Für die Befreiung der Krim“, RIA, June 8th, 2014; "Kadyrow und Tkatschow hatten die Krim bei ihrer Selbstbestimmung unterstützt".
- Егоров, Андрей (2014-06-08). "Почему медали "За освобождение Крыма" получили Кадыров и Ткачев (Why the medals "For Liberation of Crimea" were received by Kadyrov and Tkachyov)" (in Russian). Echo of Moscow. Retrieved 2014-08-30.