Médanos de Coro National Park
|Médanos de Coro National Park|
Médanos de Coro
|Nearest city||Santa Ana de Coro|
|Area||91 km2 (35 sq mi)|
|Established||6 February 1974|
|Governing body||Instituto Nacional de Parques (INPARQUES)|
Médanos de Coro National Park (Parque Nacional Los Médanos de Coro) is a Venezuelan national park located in the state of Falcón, near the city of Coro on the road that leads to Paraguaná. The National Park was created in 1974. The park is easily reached by bus or taxi from Coro.
The Médanos park lies on the Isthmus of Médanos and covers 91 km2 (35 sq mi) of desert and coastal habitat, including salt marshes. It is made up of three zones: an alluvial plain, formed by the delta of the Mitare River and some smaller streams; an aeolian plain, constituted of three types of dunes; and a littoral plain with a belt of mangrove swamps. The massive sand dunes, known as Médanos, spread over an area of approximately 5 by 30 km (3.1 by 18.6 mi). They can reach 40 m (130 ft) in height and are constantly transformed by the unrelenting wind.
Rainfall is rare. However, during the severe floods that struck Venezuela in December 1999 ("Vargas tragedy", being especially devastating in Vargas State), the heavy rain formed four lagoons in the dunes; a circumstance that the park guards had never witnessed before.
Flora and fauna
Flora consists of little more than thorny shrubs. The park is an Important Bird Area with some 31 species including Yellow-shouldered amazon. Other fauna is scarce; the park is home mainly to lizards, rabbits, anteaters and foxes. Visitors can wander amongst the dunes by camel (imported many years ago).
- BirdLife International (2015). Important Bird Areas factsheet: Parque Nacional Médanos de Coro. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 03/02/2015
- Goddard, D. and Picard, Y.X. 1973. Los médanos de Coro: composición, granulometría y migración de las arenas. Caracas: Ministerio de Energía y Minas, Venezuela, División de Geología Marina, 13 pp.
- Hernández Baño, A. and Trujillo, M.T. 1986. Secretos de los Médanos de Coro. Serie Historia regional no. 1, Coro: Instituto de Cultura del Estado Falcón, Instituto Nacional de Parques, Caracas, 92 pp.
- Morales, P.R. 1979. Estudio de los médanos de Venezuela: evidencias de un clima desértico. Acta Biológica de Venezuela 10:19-49.
- Roa-Morales, P. 1973. Génesis de los médanos de los Llanos de Venezuela. Universidad de Zulia, Maracaibo, 4 pp.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Médanos de Coro National Park.|
- The Bibliography of Aeolian Research
|This article about a location in Venezuela is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|