MediaCityUK tram stop
MediaCityUK tram stop in February 2018
Location of MediaCityUK in Greater Manchester
|Local authority||City of Salford|
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
|Opened||20 September 2010|
|UK Trams portal|
MediaCityUK tram stop is a stop on Greater Manchester's Metrolink light rail system. It is located in MediaCityUK, in Salford, North West England, and serves MediaCityUK, The Lowry, the Imperial War Museum North and other parts of Salford Quays. It opened on 20 September 2010, as the terminus of a specially-constructed 360-metre-long spur (0.22 mi) from the Eccles Line.
MediaCityUK is a development within Salford Quays, on the site of the former Manchester Docks. When an active port, the quays were served by numerous railway goods lines.
The Metrolink's extension into Salford Quays is part of a programme of urban renewal for the area around the Manchester Ship Canal. Plans for a light rail system into Salford Quays have existed since around 1987, initially as far as Broadway; the proposals evolved, with plans for a branch line to serve the Lowry arts centre. The MediaCity extension replaced that proposal.
Services to the station were suspended following an incident at the Harbour City crossover on the second day of operation. A driver reversed after only partially passing over spring-loaded points causing the tram to straddle two tracks and hit a central support column.
A new generation of light rail vehicles (LRVs) was ordered for Metrolink from the rail manufacturer Bombardier. Four LRVs are required to operate the MediaCity line. The Flexity Swift LRVs, designated 'M5000', are similar to the K5000 series used in Cologne and Bonn in Germany, and similar to the low-floor models used by London Tramlink.
The first delivery of LRVs from Bombardier arrived at Metrolink's Queens Road depot in July 2009 and was subjected to three months testing and driver training before entering service in the autumn.
- 12 minute service to Etihad Campus (07:00-20:00 Mon-Fri; 09:00-18:30 Sat)
- 12 minutes service to Ashton-under-Lyne (outside of above times Mon-Sat; all day Sundays and Bank Holidays)
- 12 minutes service to Eccles (outside of above times Mon-Sat; all day Sundays and Bank Holidays)
The station was originally served by a dedicated Piccadilly - MediaCityUK service during enhanced service (07:00-20:00 Mon-Fri; 09:00-18:30 Sat). However, as of January 2018, services have extended to operate between MediaCityUK and Etihad Campus during enhanced service every 12 minutes, with Eccles - Ashton services calling outside of these times .
Connecting bus routes
MediaCityUK station is served by Arriva North West's service 79 to Swinton via Ordsall and Pendleton and Stretford via Old Trafford. Stagecoach Manchester's service 50, branded City Connect, connects to Salford Shopping Centre in Pendleton, Salford Crescent railway station, Salford University, Salford Central railway station, Manchester and East Didsbury.
- "Metrolink trams pull in to MediaCityUK station for first time". Manchester Evening News. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- Metrolink Community Liaison (1987). "Metrolink - Light Rail in Greater Manchester". publicity brochure. Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Authority and Executive.
- "Metrolink Future Network" (PDF). GMPTE. 2006. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "Mediacity:uk". GMPTE. Archived from the original on 16 November 2008. Retrieved 10 July 2009.
- "Eccles Metrolink line reopens after Salford Quays tram crash". MEN. 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- "New trams for Quays' 'media city'". BBC News. 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "Metrolink's first new tram lands in Manchester". GMPTE. 2009-07-13. Retrieved 2009-07-13.[permanent dead link]
- LRTA web page on the new trams for Metrolink, including pictures Archived 2010-10-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Transport for Greater Manchester - Journey Planning - Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "City Connect 50". Stagecoach Bus. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Eccles – Ashton-under-Lyne Line||
|Terminus||MediaCityUK – Etihad Campus Line||
towards Etihad Campus
Railway Lines in Salford
Past, present and future