|Industry||News, Digital media|
|Founded||27 June 2008|
|Nikhil Pahwa (founder)|
MediaNama is a web based portal for news and analysis of digital media in India owned by MixedBag Media Pvt Ltd. Established in 2008 by Nikhil Pahwa, MediaNama covers news and provides analysis on product launches, mergers & acquisitions of digital companies, venture capital funding, industry research, joint ventures and other business developments related to Internet and Mobile communities, and content including music, gaming and video.
As reported in Tech Crunch, Pahwa, an Indian blogger who was working at contentSutra (now PaidContent.org) quit in 2008 and moved on to start MediaNama, a rival in the same domain. He continues to be the editor of MediaNama. Apart from covering news on commercial enterprises, MediaNama also has a history of reporting on media trends and government policies in India pertaining to censorship and digital expression. The portal reported a story on Times Private Treaties, which was cited in the Press Council of India's report on "paid news". They also made submissions to the Standing Committee on Information Technology in 2013 regarding the issue of paid news.
In 2012, MediaNama organized its first conference, #NAMA around digital media businesses in Gurgaon. The second #NAMA conference was scheduled to be held in Mumbai in June, 2013 but was cancelled due to bad weather.
- "Bad karma at contentSutra after being bought by Guardian". Tech Crunch.
- Jagadeesh, Namitha (22 July 2008). "During lean times, look at other revenue streams". Mint. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "MediaNama/About us". About us. MediaNama. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Interview with Nikhil Pahwa". Blogadda. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Indians of Tomorrow: Dreamers and Doers". India Today. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Press Council sub-committee report on Paid News in India" (PDF). Press Council of India. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Standing Committee on Information Technology" (PDF). Government of India. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "CRIS introduces Rail Radar at #NAMA". EFY Times. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Update2: #NAMA2 postponed". MediaNama. Retrieved 3 January 2014.