In Japanese culture and entertainment, media mix (wasei-eigo: メディアミックス, mediamikkusu) is a strategy to disperse content across multiple representations: different broadcast media, gaming technologies, cell phones, toys, amusement parks, and other methods. It is the Japanese term for a transmedia franchise.
The term gained its circulation in late 1980s, but the origins of the strategy can be traced back to the 1960s with the proliferation of anime, with its interconnection of media and commodity goods.
The penetration into the American market of the series such as Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! gave rise to the recognition of what is variously called transmedia storytelling, crossmedia, transmediation, media synergy, etc.
The book Anime's Media Mix: Franchising Toys and Characters in Japan by Marc Steinberg details the evolution of the media mix in Japan.
A number of Japanese media franchises have gained considerable global popularity, and are among the world's highest-grossing media franchises. Pokémon in particular is the highest-grossing media franchise of all time, bigger than Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universe. Other Japanese media franchises among the world's top 15 highest-grossing media franchises include Hello Kitty, Gundam, and Dragon Ball, while the top 30 also includes Fist of the North Star, Yu-Gi-Oh and Evangelion.
- anime-ka (アニメ化), recast as anime
- dorama-ka (ドラマ化), recast as drama
- gēmu-ka (ゲーム化), recast as computer game
- noberaizu (ノベライズ, "novelize") recast as novel
- komikaraizu (コミカライズ, "comicalize") or manga-ka (漫画化), recast as manga
- eiga-ka (映画化) recast as movie
- Henry Jenkins, Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide, p. 110
- Denison, Rayna. "Manga Movies Project Report 1 - Transmedia Japanese Franchising". academia.edu. academia.edu. Retrieved 2015-07-31.
- Steinberg, p. vi
- Hutchins, Robert (June 26, 2018). "'Anime will only get stronger,' as Pokémon beats Marvel as highest grossing franchise". Licensing.biz. Archived from the original on November 6, 2018. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- "Pokemon Beats Out Star Wars, Marvel as Highest Grossing Media Franchise". ComicBook.com. August 28, 2018. Archived from the original on August 31, 2018. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Peters, Megan (June 23, 2018). "'Pokemon' Is The Highest-Grossing Franchise Of All-Time". ComicBook.com. Archived from the original on September 9, 2018. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Marc Steinberg, Anime's Media Mix: Franchising Toys and Characters in Japan.
- The book references and cites numerous sources on the subject