Media of Iran
The Media of Iran are privately and publicly owned but is subject to censorship. As of 2016, Iran had 178 newspapers, 83 magazines, 15,000 information sites and 2 million blogs. A special court has authority to monitor the print media and may suspend publication or revoke the licenses of papers or journals that a jury finds guilty of publishing anti-religious material, slander, or information detrimental to the national interest. The Iranian media is prohibited from criticizing the Islamic doctrines (as interpreted by the Iranian regime).
Most Iranian newspapers are published in Persian, but newspapers in English and other languages also exist. The most widely circulated periodicals are based in Tehran. Popular daily and weekly newspapers include Iran, Ettelaat, Kayhan, Hamshahri and Resalat. Iran Daily and Tehran Times are both English language papers. Iran’s largest media corporation is the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB). Financial Tribune is the main English language (online) economic journal. Iran Front Page ( IFP News ) is an English News website which provides its audiences with the English version of the latest news and views from Iran published by the Iranian Persian media.
A number of foreign broadcasts into the country exist, including Persian language programmes from Kol Israel and Radio Farda; however, these broadcasts tend to encounter occasional radio jamming. The government engages in censorship programs to anything divergent from the country's regulations. The majority of Iranians- upwards of 80 percent- get their news from government-owned media. Attempts to establish private, independent media outlets in Iran have been restricted or banned, and Reporters Without Borders has declared Iran to have the highest number of jailed journalists in the Middle East. According to the 1979 Iranian Constitution, all broadcasting must exclusively be government-operated, and in 1994 the Islamic state banned the use of satellite television. Yet, over 30 percent of Iranians watch satellite channels.
Iranian media include:
- Iranian news agencies
- Iranian newspapers
- Iranian blogs
- Persian language magazines
- Persian language television stations (Not all Iranian)
- Television in Iran
- Cinema of Iran
- Persian literature
- Music of Iran
- Communications and Internet in Iran
- Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting
- Censorship in Iran
- Encyclopædia Iranica
- International Rankings of Iran in Communication
- Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
- Education in Iran
- Lettres Persanes (23 May 2016). "Lettres Persanes : suivez l'Iran depuis l'Iran". Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2018 – via YouTube.
- Ayse, Valentine; Nash, Jason John; Leland, Rice (January 2013). "The Business Year 2013: Iran". London, U.K.: The Business Year: 114. ISBN 978-1-908180-11-7. Archived from the original on 2016-12-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-03-18. Retrieved 2018-03-18. "About Iran Front Page"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-07. Retrieved 2008-11-30. "Listening to Iran" - Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- Reporters sans frontières - Internet - Iran Archived February 24, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Molavi, Soul of Iran, Norton, (2002) p.5
- "State Department's First Persian-Language Spokesperson Could Appear In Iranian State Media". www.payvand.com. Archived from the original on 8 January 2018. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Sanati, Kimia (4 July 2007). "New TV Channel to Focus on Iraq, Shia Issues". IPS. Archived from the original on 21 January 2009. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "Iran's war on satellite dishes: "We just buy new ones the next day"". france24.com. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Ministry of Culture & Islamic Guidance Of Iran Official Website
- Ministry of Culture & Islamic Guidance Of Iran - Foreign Media Office Official Website - Get Iran Media & Press License
- List of Persian (Iranian) media on the Internet via Gooya
- Gooyauk - Iranian media resources
- Iran Media - List of media sites and news agencies
- Jahani - List of Persian Satellite Channels
- "Iran Media Guide". Tehran Bureau. 2009 – via Public Broadcasting Service, USA.
- Monroe Price (ed.). "Iran Media Program". University of Pennsylvania, Annenberg School for Communication, Center for Global Communication Studies.
Collaborative network designed to enhance the understanding of Iran's media ecology
- Get Iran Latest News - Financialtribune Newspaper
- Media Monitoring in Iran
- "Media Landscapes: Iran", Medialandscapes.org, Netherlands: European Journalism Centre