Type of site
|Owner||Prometheus Global Media|
|Created by||Laurel Touby|
Mediabistro is a website that offers resources for media professionals. It publishes various blogs which analyze the mass media industry, including the film and the publishing industries. It also provides job listings, courses, and seminars for journalists. The site was founded in 1993 by Laurel Touby as "a gathering place for professionals in journalism, publishing and other media-related industries in New York City". Mediabistro has since grown into an international resource for media professionals.
On July 17, 2007, the site was acquired by WebMediaBrands, later known as Mediabistro, for $20 million in cash plus a two-year earn-out that could result in an additional $3 million.
In August 2014, Mediabistro's publishing assets were acquired by Prometheus Global Media, a subsidiary of Guggenheim Partners, for $8 million. The acquisition did not include Mediabistro's expo business, which were retained under the name Mecklermedia.
- "Mediabistro Online Courses and Seminars". Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Laurel Touby". The Huffington Post. September 5, 2006.
- "Touby Prize". New York. July 30, 2007.
- "Jupitermedia Buys Mediabistro.com". Internetnews.com. July 18, 2007. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Adweek Parent Prometheus Buys Mediabistro Editorial Assets". Adweek. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- "Prometheus Global Media to Acquire Mediabistro". FishbowlNY. Retrieved May 29, 2014.