Medial cutaneous nerve of forearm
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Medial cutaneous nerve of forearm|
Diagram of segmental distribution of the cutaneous nerves of the right upper extremity. Posterior view. ("Medial antebrach. cutan." visible in green.)
|Latin||Nervus cutaneus antebrachii medialis|
|Anatomical terms of neuroanatomy|
It derives its fibers from the eighth cervical and first thoracic nerves, and at its commencement is placed medial to the axillary artery.
The nerve then runs down the ulnar side of the arm medial to the brachial artery, pierces the deep fascia with the basilic vein, about the middle of the arm, and divides into a volar and an ulnar branch.
The volar branch (ramus volaris; anterior branch), the larger, passes usually in front of, but occasionally behind, the vena mediana cubiti (median basilic vein).
It then descends on the front of the ulnar side of the forearm, distributing filaments to the skin as far as the wrist, and communicating with the palmar cutaneous branch of the ulnar nerve.
The ulnar branch (ramus ulnaris; posterior branch) passes obliquely downward on the medial side of the basilic vein, in front of the medial epicondyle of the humerus, to the back of the forearm, and descends on its ulnar side as far as the wrist, distributing filaments to the skin.
- Dorsal antebrachial cutaneous nerve
- Lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve
- Medial brachial cutaneous nerve
This gallery of anatomic features needs cleanup to abide by the medical manual of style.
- lesson2superficveinsupperlimb at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University), lesson5nervesofpostforearm at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University)
- Medial_antebrachial_cutaneous_nerve at the Duke University Health System's Orthopedics program
- EatonHand ner-067
- Anatomy figure: 06:03-06 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Cutaneous nerves of the upper extremity."
- Hand kinesiology at the University of Kansas Medical Center