Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) is an independent US federal body headquartered in Washington, D.C.. MedPAC was established by the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (P.L. 105-33). The Commission's 17 members bring diverse expertise in the financing and delivery of health care services. Commissioners are appointed to three-year terms (subject to renewal) by the Comptroller General of the United States and serve part-time. Its primary role is to advise the US Congress on issues affecting the administration of the Medicare program. Specifically the commission's mandate is to advise the US Congress on payments to private health plans participating in Medicare and health providers serving Medicare beneficiaries. MedPAC is also relied on by Medicare administrators and policy makers to evaluate beneficiary's access to care and the quality of care received. MedPAC's mandate is broad enough that it can also evaluate other issues affecting Medicare.
MedPAC produces two major reports to the United States Congress each year that contain recommendations to improve Medicare. For example, its June 2008 report to Congress, "Reforming the Delivery System," made several recommendations along "a path to bundled payment."
- Chairman: Francis J. Crosson, M.D.
- Vice Chairman: Paul Ginsburg, Ph.D.
- Jonathan Jaffery, M.D., M.S., M.M.M.
- Kathy Buto, M.P.A.
- Lawrence Casalino, M.D., Ph.D.
- Brian DeBusk, Ph.D.
- Karen DeSalvo, M.D., M.P.H., MSc
- Marjorie Ginsburg, B.S.N., M.P.H.
- David Grabowski, Ph.D.
- Amol Navathe, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jonathan Perlin, M.D., Ph.D., M.S.H.A.
- Bruce Pyenson, F.S.A., M.A.A.A.
- Jaewon Ryu, M.D., J.D.
- Dana Gelb Safran, Sc.D.
- Warner Thomas, M.B.A.
- Susan Thompson, M.S., R.N.
- Pat Wang, J.D.
- Executive Director: James Mathews, Ph.D.
- Deputy Director: Dana Kelley, M.P.A.
- Assistant Director: Paul Masi, M.P.P
- Chief Financial Officer: Mary Beth Spittel, M.S.
- Accountable care organization
- Independent Payment Advisory Board
- Medicare Advantage
- Quality improvement organizations
- Specialty Society Relative Value Scale Update Committee (or Relative Value Update Committee; RUC)
- MedPAC. About MedPAC. Archived 2007-10-11 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (June 2008). "Chapter 4. A path to bundled payment around a hospitalization". Report to the Congress: reforming the delivery system (PDF). Washington, DC: Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. pp. 80–103. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Hackbarth G, Reischauer R, Mutti A (2008). "Collective accountability for medical care--toward bundled Medicare payments" (PDF). N Engl J Med. 359 (1): 3–5. doi:10.1056/NEJMp0803749. PMID 18596270. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26.
- MedPAC. MedPAC Commissioners. [url=http://www.medpac.gov/-about-medpac-/commission-members www
.medpac .gov /-about-medpac- /commission-members] Retrieved 2018-12-29.
|This article about a United States health organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|