Medication therapy management
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) is a variety of health related services provided by a health care provider, typically a pharmacist. MTM aims to optimize drug therapy and improve outcomes by helping people to better understand their health conditions and medications used to manage them. This service can especially be a valuable resource for people who have several chronic conditions, take multiple medications, or are seen by multiple doctors.
The standard of care for MTM is comprehensive medication management (CMM), which can often take an hour. Most community pharmacists do not have time to conduct these services, so it is common for pharmacists to do focused MTMs, which specifically target a disease state that is most relevant to the person's health. Most interventions focus on conditions like dementia, depression, COPD, and heart failure.
The US Medicare Modernization Act of 2003, required Medicare Part D prescription drug plans to include medication therapy management services delivered by a qualified healthcare professional, including pharmacists, beginning in 2006.
- Greer, N; Bolduc, J; Geurkink, E; Koeller, E; Rector, T; Olson, K; MacDonald, R; Wilt, TJ (October 2015). "Pharmacist-Led Chronic Disease Management: A Systematic Review of Effectiveness and Harms Compared to Usual Care [Internet]". VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. PMID 27252999.
- "Medication Therapy Management in Pharmacy Practice Version 2.0" (PDF). American Pharmacists Association and National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation. March 2008.
- "Using Medication Therapy Management to Treat Chronic Disease". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 18 January 2018. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Is Comprehensive Medication Management the Best MTM Type?". www.pharmacytimes.com. Retrieved 2018-11-01.
- "Medication Therapy Management Services". www.pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "What Pharmacy Students Need to Know about MTM". www.pharmacytimes.com. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- "2018 Medicare Part D Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Programs". cms.gov. August 20, 2018. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 20, 2018. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Medication therapy management.|