|Outline of South Asian history|
Medieval India refers to the Post classical Era, i.e. 8th to 18th century CE in the Indian subcontinent. It is divided into two periods: The 'early medieval period' which lasted from the 8th to the 13th century and the 'late medieval period' which lasted from the 13th to the 18th century in some definitions, though many end the period with the start of the Mughal Empire in 1526. It lasted from 8th century AD to 18th century AD. It includes :
- Rashtrakuta dynasty was a Kannada royal dynasty ruling large parts of the Indian Subcontinent between the sixth and the 10th centuries and one who built world heritage center Ellora which is in Maharashtra.
- Eastern Chalukyas, were a South Indian (Kannada) dynasty whose kingdom was located in the present day Andhra Pradesh
- Seuna (Yadava) dynasty was a Kannada-Marata dynasty, which at its peak ruled a kingdom stretching from the Tungabhadra to the Narmada rivers, including present-day Maharashtra, north Karnataka and parts of Madhya Pradesh, from its capital at Devagiri.
- Chola Empire, a South Indian empire which ruled from Tamil Nadu and extended till south east Asian Nations in its height. from 9th century to 13th century.
- Dabhi, a Rajput state which ruled from Mahuba Rajasthan that ruled present day Rajasthan, Madhya Pradeh, Gujarat from early medieval to 13th century.
- Western Chalukya Empire The Western Chalukya Empire ruled most of the western Deccan, South IndiaKannadiga, between the 10th and 12th centuries and their contribution to world heritage center Badami is very significant.
- Kalachuri dynasty The Kalachuri Kannada Empire ruled areas in Central India during 10th-12th centuries and built world heritage center Elephanta Caves which is in present state Maharashtra.
- Western Ganga dynasty was an important ruling dynasty of ancient Karnataka in India which lasted from about 350 to 1000 AD. Worlds one of the largest monolithic Bahubali of Shravanabelagola was built during their ruling.
- Eastern Ganga dynasty was a royal dynasty ruling Odisha region who are descendants of Kannada Western Ganga Dynasty and Tamil Chola empire. They have built famous Konark Sun Temple and Jagannath Temple, Puri.
- Hoysala Empire a prominent South Indian Kannadiga empire that ruled most of the modern day state of Karnataka between the 10th and the 14th centuries. The capital of the Hoysalas was initially located at Belur but was later moved to Halebidu.
- Kakatiya Kingdom a Telugu dynasty that ruled most of current day Andhra Pradesh, India from 1083 CE to 1323 CE
- The Sena dynasty was a Hindu dynasty that ruled from Bengal through the 11th and 12th centuries. The empire at its peak covered much of the north-eastern region of the Indian subcontinent. The rulers of the Sena Dynasty traced their origin to the south Indian region of Karnataka.
- Rajput states-confederation of Hindu states that ruled present day Rajasthan,Madhya Pradeh,Gujarat,Uttaranchal,Himachal Pradesh, Western Uttar Pradesh and Central Uttar Pradesh. from early medieval to modern times.
- Trigarta Kingdom a kingdom mentioned in the epic Mahabharata.
- Delhi Sultanate is a term used to cover five short-lived dynasties of Turkic origin, based in Delhi.
- Mughal Empire was an imperial state of Turco-Mongol origin from Central Asia, who rule on large parts of the Indian subcontinent from 16th to 18th century, though it lingered for another century, formally ending in 1857.
- Maratha Empire was an imperial power based in modern-day Maharashtra in western India. Marathas replaced the Mughal rule over large parts of India in the 18th century, they were later usurped by the British Colonialsts, who took over India by defeating several Maratha kingdoms in the Anglo-Maratha Wars in early 19th century.
- Ahom Kingdom was a kingdom in the Brahmaputra valley in Assam, India
- Reddy Kingdom was established in southern India by Prolaya Vema Reddy.
- Vijayanagara Empire was Hindu-Kannada empire based in South India, in the Deccan Plateau region. World heritage center Hampi was their capital city.
- Kingdom of Mysore was a Kannada kingdom have been founded in 1399 in the vicinity of the modern city of Mysore. Their state festival Dasara was world famous.
- Nayak dynasty group of Kannada, Telugu, Tamil kings ruled south India. Their contribution can bee seen in Ikkeri, Sri ranga, Madurai, Chitradurga.
- Gajapati Kingdom was a medieval Hindu dynasty that ruled over Kalinga (the present day Orissa)
- Deccan Sultanates were five Muslim-ruled late medieval kingdoms
- Sikh Empire was a major power in the Northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent, which arose under the leadership of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in the Punjab region. They were usurped by the British East India Company between early and mid 19th century, following the British victory in the Anglo-Sikh wars.
- Zubair, Syed (4 November 2012). "Before India". Deccan Chronicle.