Medina High School (Ohio)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Medina High School|
|777 East Union Street
Medina, Ohio 44256
|School district||Medina City School District|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Athletics||Greater Cleveland Conference|
|Nickname||Battling Bees, or Bees|
|Rival||Brunswick Blue Devils|
|Website||Medina High School|
Medina High School (abbreviated MHS) is public high school located in Medina, Ohio, United States. It serves 2,500 students in grades 9-12. It is the only high school in the Medina City School District. It is the 8th biggest high school in Ohio in terms of enrollment.
- Colors: Green and White
- Nickname: The Battling Bees
- Athletic conference: Greater Cleveland Conference
- Fight Song: The Ohio State University's "Fight the Team Across the Field"
Medina Senior High School has existed at its current location since the fall of 1973. It underwent major renovations and additions, concluding in Fall 2003. Prior to its current location, Medina High School existed at the buildings that are now Garfield Elementary School, the Medina County Administration Building, and Claggett Middle School.
After Medina High school underwent its major renovations and additions, the "house" concept was introduced. The school was divided into four "houses," each with its own principal. Students stayed within their house for as many core classes as possible, but were permitted to take classes outside of their house as well.
In 2009/2010 school year, the neighborhood concept was introduced. The four houses were combined into two neighborhoods. Although administrators, some faculty, and many incoming students use the term "neighborhoods," many veteran students and many faculty refer to these buildings as "houses" still.
Students with letters A-K starting their last name are in "House White" which includes Rooms 2100-2250. These students' ID cards are colored white. Students with letters L-Z starting their last name are in "House Green" which includes Rooms 1100-1250. Their ID cards are colored green. Classrooms which don't fall into the White or Green categories include the gymnasium, art rooms, performing arts rooms, woodshops, auditoriums, and many more non-core academic classrooms.
The school has an extensive performing arts program, with multiple choirs and orchestras and the marching band having won several honors and awards at state and local competitions. The Medina High School symphony orchestra was recently invited to Russia to perform at the Grand Philharmonic Hall in Saint Petersburg. The school houses a performing arts center that seats a total of 1,530 people.
Along with homecoming and prom royalty, Medina also has a Mr. Medina contest for the senior boy with the most spirit. They decide this person by having about 5 finalists be part of a pagent-like event with 3 portions: speech (and formal apparel), talent, and costume. After watching this show, students vote. The winner is announced at a big pep rally at the end of the week.
- Girls Lacrosse - 2010, 2011, 2012
- Girls Soccer – 1997, 2009
- Boys Cross Country – 2007
- Boys Lacrosse-2003
- Fremont O. Phillips, Class of 1874, Republican Congressman, U.S. House of Representatives (served 1899-1901)
- William G. Batchelder, Class of 1960, current speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, since 2011
- Bobby Rahal, Class of 1971, professional race car driver & winner of the Indianapolis 500, 1986
- Matthew Patrick, also know as MatPat, creator and narrator of the Youtube series Game Theorist and founder of Theorist Media.
- "Ohio Public High Schools Ranked by Enrollment". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Performing Arts Events". Medina City School District. Retrieved 2013-04-01.