Medina High School (Ohio)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Medina High School|
777 East Union Street
|School district||Medina City School District|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Athletics||Greater Cleveland Conference|
|Nickname||The Battling Bees, or Bees|
|Rival||Brunswick Blue Devils|
|Website||Medina High School|
Medina High School (abbreviated MHS) is a public high school located in Medina, Ohio, United States. It serves 2,500 students in grades 9-12. It is the only high school in the Medina City School District and the only high school in the city. It is the 8th biggest high school in Ohio in terms of enrollment.
- Colors: Green and White
- Nickname: The Battling Bees, or Bees
- Athletic conference: Greater Cleveland Conference
- Fight Song: The Ohio State University's "Fight the Team Across the Field"
Medina High School opened in its current location in the fall of 1973. In 2004, major renovations and additions were completed, doubling the school's capacity and adding both a new community recreation center and a performing-arts center. Prior to 1973, Medina High School existed within the buildings that are now Garfield Elementary School, the Medina County Administration Building, and Claggett Middle School.
The facility underwent major renovations and additions which concluded in the Fall of 2003. After the completion of the renovations, the "house" concept was introduced. The school was originally divided into four "houses," each with its own principal. Students stayed within their "house" for as many core classes as possible but were permitted to take classes outside of their "house" as well.
In the 2009-2010 school year, the neighborhood concept was presented. The four "houses" were combined into two "neighborhoods" with its own core academic area, principal, faculty, and guidance counselors. Students with the letters A-K in their last name are in "House White." Students with letters L-Z starting their last name are in "House Green." A centralized food preparation area and two cafeteria/serving areas support the houses. In partnership with the City of Medina, the Medina Community Recreation Center and Performing Arts Center are directly attached to the high school building and are available for community use.
The school has an extensive performing arts program, with multiple choirs and orchestras and the marching band having won several honors and awards at state and local competitions. The Medina High School symphony orchestra was recently invited to Russia to perform at the Grand Philharmonic Hall in Saint Petersburg. The school houses a performing arts center that seats a total of 1,133 people.
- Girls Lacrosse - 2010, 2011, 2012
- Girls Soccer – 1997, 2009
- Boys Cross Country – 2007
- Boys Lacrosse-2003
- Fremont O. Phillips, Class of 1874, Republican Congressman, U.S. House of Representatives (served 1899-1901)
- William G. Batchelder, Class of 1960, former speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, 2011-2014
- Bobby Rahal, Class of 1971, professional race car driver & winner of the Indianapolis 500 in 1986.
- Matthew Patrick, also known as MatPat, creator and narrator of the Youtube series Game Theorist and founder of Theorist Media.
- Light Years, Pop Punk Band
- McCafferty, Indie Folk Punk Band
- Mason Schreck, NFL tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals
- "Ohio Public High Schools Ranked by Enrollment". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Performing Arts Events". Medina City School District. Retrieved June 14, 2018.