This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Meenambakkam is a southern neighbourhood of Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is home to Chennai International Airport and the Airports Authority of India regional office. It was under the reign of the Pallava kingdom. The name Meenambakkam signifies that it is a settlement near the coast. Pakkam means a settlement near to the coast. Meenambakkam was cherished with lakes, ponds and borderlines the Adyar river. This makes it a rich source of fishes. Hence the name Meenambakkam was coined.
- Sridevi Sakthi Santhiamman Temple
This temple is one of the oldest temples in the city and is situated amidst the busiest part of the city - the airport. The deity is called Santhiamman as she is believed to safeguard the village sitting at the Santhi. Santhi means junction in Tamil. Santhiamman is worshiped by the local people. She is believed to be a very powerful goddess.
- Sridevi Periyapalayathamman Temple
This temple is one of the major temples situated in the locality. The goddesses is worshiped by the local villagers and the annual festival of this temple is the major celebration of the village.
- Government Adi Dravida Welfare Higher Secondary School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Meenambakkam
- Kendriya Vidyalaya DGQA
- Civil Aviation School
- Little Flower School (till UKG or Sr KG)
- Kalyanamayee Primary and Nursery School (Till 5th)
- Jain School (CBSE Board)
- Prince Matriculation school and A. M. Jain College
Meenambakkam has consistently voted in favor of the DMK since the 1980s. In 2016, Jayanthi Thenarasu began serving as the councilor and M.R. Vaidyalingam (ex MLA Tamabaram) has played a major role in improving the infrastructure of Meenambakkam.
It comes under the Sriperumbudur constituency in the Lok Sabha and Pallavaram constituency in the Legislative Assembly. Predominantly a DMK supporting locality. Where since many terms only DMK won in the local body elections.
Meenambakkam has several theatres: Velan and Vetrivel (also known as Ranga theatre), Janatha Theatre Pallavaram, Vetri, and Rakesh in Chrompet and recently PVR had launched its new Multiplex theatre at Thirusoolam Named PVR Grand Galada.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meenambakkam.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Meenambakkam City Population Census 2011 - Tamil Nadu". www.census2011.co.in. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Tejonmayam, U (3 November 2016). "Direct metro from Koyambedu to airport starts". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
|This Chennai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|