Meet Mr Mulliner
Meet Mr. Mulliner is a collection of short stories by P. G. Wodehouse. First published in the United Kingdom on 27 September 1927 by Herbert Jenkins, and in the United States on 2 March 1928 by Doubleday, Doran. It introduces the irrepressible pub raconteur Mr. Mulliner, who narrates all nine of the book's stories. The last story, "Honeysuckle Cottage", was not originally a Mr. Mulliner story; it was given a Mulliner frame for the book, and is the only one of the stories which is not explicitly narrated from the bar-parlour of the Anglers' Rest public house.
The original story titles and publication dates were as follows:
- "The Truth about George"
- "A Slice of Life"
- U.K.: Strand, August 1926
- U.S.: Liberty, 7 August 1926
- "Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo"
- U.K.: Strand, November 1926
- U.S.: Liberty, 4 September 1926
- "The Bishop's Move"
- U.K.: Strand, September 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 20 August 1927
- "Came the Dawn"
- U.K.: Strand, July 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 11 June 1927
- "The Story of William"
- U.K.: Strand, May 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 9 April 1927 (as "It Was Only a Fire")
- "Portrait of a Disciplinarian"
- U.K.: Strand, October 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 24 September 1927
- "The Romance of a Bulb-Squeezer"
- U.K.: Strand, March 1927
- U.S.: Liberty, 12 March 1927
- "Honeysuckle Cottage"
- U.K.: Strand, February 1925
- U.S.: Saturday Evening Post, 24 January 1925
- Mr. Mulliner Speaking (1929) and Mulliner Nights (1933) - Two other collections of Mulliner stories
- Complete list of Wodehouse's Mr. Mulliner stories
References and sources
- "Meet Mr. Mulliner". The Russian Wodehouse Society. Retrieved July 4, 2005.