Meeting People Is Easy
This article possibly contains original research. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Meeting People Is Easy|
|Directed by||Grant Gee|
|Produced by||Dilly Gent|
|Edited by||Jerry Chater|
|Distributed by||Parlophone (EMI)|
|30 November 1998(UK, VHS)|
Meeting People Is Easy is a 1998 British documentary film by Grant Gee chronicling British alternative rock band Radiohead on their exhaustive world tour following the success of their 1997 album OK Computer. The film was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Music Film at the 42nd Annual Grammy Awards in 2000.
Meeting People Is Easy covers the promotion and tour for Radiohead's third album, OK Computer. The tour began on 22 May 1997 in Barcelona, Spain, and ended 104 performances later in New York's Radio City Music Hall. Most of the film comprises footage of the band working on music and performing (including a performance of "Karma Police" on Late Show with David Letterman,) filming promotional material, and giving interviews. It includes footage of the filming of the "No Surprises" music video, the failed studio session for the song "Man of War", and performances of unreleased songs including "Follow Me Around".
According to director Grant Gee, Radiohead sat in hotel suites for days giving interviews. To film each interview, Gee "[ran] around, leaving a microphone in one room, going and filming something in another". He placed surveillance cameras in the band's dressing room, which Gee said foreshadowed the rise of reality television: "We were doing it in a slightly more arty way, but it's the same as Big Brother, what we were doing with that band, seeing them locked in their bubble. Radiohead Big Brother is what I think of that film in a way."
In subsequent years EMI and other record labels had released countless DVDs to promote pop and rock acts, as the format has become dominant over VHS in most parts of the world. In 1999, the film became the first DVD ever released by Radiohead's record label EMI/Parlophone/Capitol Records.
Several television channels broadcast Meeting People Is Easy after its release. In the UK, Channel 4 broadcast the film on 6 May 1999. In the US, MTV broadcast a premiere of the film on 16 May 1999, and The Sundance Channel broadcast the documentary nine times during May 2000.
Reception for Meeting People Is Easy was positive. The film received an average rating of 6.5/10 on Rotten Tomatoes, giving it 71% freshness. Reviewer Jessica Brandt of theshrubbery.com gave 5 out of 5 stars. Film critic Daniel Fletcher named Meeting People is Easy one of his ten favourite films. Troy Patterson, a critic for Entertainment Weekly, gave the film a B+, calling it "an expressive mood piece creepy with cosmopolitan paranoia and bracingly somber bombast". Bart Blasengame gave the film 4 out of 5 stars, stating: "Instead of taking the usual tour documentary approach and dwelling on individual concerts or behind-the-scenes banter between the band, Gee's film focuses on the absurdity of being an important rock band in the current musical landscape—the shallow marketing of the band, the endless stream of redundant interviews, the blinding photo shoots and awkward television appearances." Kevin Archibald of IGN gave the film a rating of 8/10.
The film has sold over half a million copies on DVD/VHS.
Awards and nominations
- Blasengame, Bart. "It Ain't Easy Being..." music-critic.com. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "19 Unreleased Radiohead Songs That Could Be on Their Next Album - The Pitch - Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Kim, Brandon. "Is "Meeting People" Still Easy?". Independent Film Channel. Archived from the original on 15 May 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "RADIOHEAD MEETING PEOPLE IS EASY (1999)". BFI Film & TV Database. BFI. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- "Meeting People Is Easy on Sundance Channel". ateaseweb.com. 1 May 2000. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "Radiohead: Meeting People Is Easy (1998)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- Brandt, Jessica (June 1999). "Movie Review – Meeting People is Easy (A Radiohead Documentary)". theshrubbery.com. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "THE TOP 10 PROJECT INDIVIDUAL LISTS". thecinematheque.com. Archived from the original on 18 April 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- Patterson, Troy (21 May 1999). "Video Review – Meeting People is Easy (1999)". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "Grant Gee – Director Profile". sheffdocfest.com. Archived from the original on 21 October 2007. Retrieved 14 May 2009.
- "Awards for Meeting People Is Easy". IMDb. Retrieved 14 May 2009.