Official DVD Cover
|Written by||Paul Bales|
|Directed by||David Michael Latt|
|Narrated by||Steven Parker|
|Theme music composer||
|Country of origin||United States|
|Producer(s)||David Michael Latt|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Production company(s)||The Asylum|
MegaFault is a 2009 television disaster film by The Asylum, directed by David Michael Latt, starring Brittany Murphy, Justin Hartley, Eriq Lasalle, Tamala Jones, Paul Logan and Bruce Davison. It is one of the last films to feature Brittany Murphy, as she died some weeks after its premiere.
In West Virginia, Charles "Boomer" Baxter is setting mountain-top depletion explosives. He detonates the TNT, and an unprecedented earthquake devastates the area. A few hours later government seismologist Dr. Amy Lane arrives at the quake's epicenter.
She realizes that the quake has opened a deep fault running through the center of North America, ending at the San Andreas Fault. Any further instability will cause massive earthquakes and tsunamis, devastating Los Angeles, San Francisco and other cities all around the Pacific Ocean, leading to the deaths of millions.
Dr. Lane and Boomer chase just behind the expanding crack in the Earth's crust, developing a plan to stop the next quake. They decide to use a satellite orbiting above the continent which can trigger earthquakes. They fire it off when they reach the Grand Canyon, thinking that when the new fault hits the canyon it will be forced to turn south into the Gulf of Mexico. When the fault crosses with the canyon, they fire the satellite at the canyon but plan goes wrong. Instead of heading south, the fault travels north, towards the Yellowstone Caldera.
They realize that if the fault crosses the caldera it will explode, expelling several thousand tons of ash into the atmosphere, killing millions and causing a Volcanic winter. They decide to set explosives to block the fault's path. Later, when it reaches the park, Boomer detonates the explosives, causing the fault to stop just short of the volcano, but costing Boomer his life. In the end, an orbiting shot of the United States shows a giant canyon that stretches miles-wide across most of the continent.
- Brittany Murphy as Dr. Amy Lane
- Eriq La Salle as Charles "Boomer" Baxter
- Justin Hartley as Dan Lane
- Bruce Davison as Dr. Mark Rhodes
- Tamala Jones as Marlena Johnson
- Paul Logan as Major Boyd Grayson
- Dana Tomasko as Female Tech
- Anya Benton as Radio Dispatcher
- Jack P. Downing as General Banks
- Sarah Garvey as Jerry Blair
- A.J. Haut as Guard 1
- Sheila Heubach
- Andrew Stephen Pratt as Officer Armstrong
- Miranda Schwien as Miranda Lane
- Jack Goldenberg as Sebastian
The film is a Sci-Fi original movie and is Brittany Murphy's final TV role as she died unexpectedly on December 20, 2009. It was all shot in the Quad Cities, Davenport, Iowa, with Davenport mayor Bill Gluba making a cameo appearance.
- Barton, Steve (2009-09-24). "MegaFault Trailer Debuts Online". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- mtv (2009-09-24). "From The Makers Of 'Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus' Comes...'MegaFault'! Watch The Exclusive Trailer!". Moviesblog.mtv.com. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- "Trailer: MegaFault From the Makers of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus". Worstpreviews.com. Retrieved 2017-04-17.
- Brian Gallagher. "Exclusive Video: New Megafault DVD Special Feature Clip". Movieweb.com. Retrieved 2017-04-17.