List of Tajikistani detainees at Guantanamo Bay
On May 15, 2006 the United States Department of Defense acknowledged that there have been 12 Tajik detainees held in Guantanamo. The Guantanamo Bay detainment camps were opened on January 11, 2002 at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, in Cuba.
The magazine Mother Jones published a feature article, entitled: "The Man Who Has Been to America: One Guantanamo detainee's story". The article was based on an interview with Muhibullo Abdulkarim Umarov, a Tajik from a village named Alisurkhon. Umarov said he and a neighbor from his village, were captured while visiting a third neighbor from his village at his University in Pakistan. Umarov named his two neighbors, Mazharudin and Abdughaffor. He said they too had been sent to Guantanamo. Mazharudin is named on the official list, but Abdughaffor is not. Umarov told Mother Jones that Mazharudin and Abdughaffor were released on March 31, 2004 at the same time he was.
The US Department of Defense acknowledged holding twelve Tajiks in Guantanamo. The DoD acknowledged convening Combatant Status Review Tribunals for six of the Tajiks held in Guantanamo. The DoD said they convened a Combatant Status Review Tribunal for every detainee who was still in Guantanamo in 2005.
A March 1, 2007 press release announced that the Department of Defense had returned three Tajiks back to Tajikistan.
On August 7, 2007 Radio Free Europe reported that a former Tajik detainee named "Mukit Vohidov" had been repatriated from Guantanamo to Tajikistani custody, in March 2007, and was about to stand trial. The report also stated that another former Tajik detainee named "Ibrohim Nasriddinov" had recently stood trial, been convicted, and received a 23-year sentence.
List of Tajiks held in Guantanamo
|00208||Maroof Saleemovich Salehove||1978/03/03||2002-01-20||2005-08-19|
|00257||Omar Hamzayavich Abdulayev||1978/10/11||2002-02-09||2016-07-10||
|00641||Abdul Karim Irgashive||1965/05/07||2002-06-08||2004-07-17|
|00729||Muhibullo Abdulkarim Umarov||1980/10/06||2002-08-05||2004-03-31|
|00732||Shirinov Ghafar Homarovich||1974/01/09||2002-08-05||2004-03-31|
- list of prisoners (.pdf), US Department of Defense, May 15, 2006
- The Man Who Has Been to America: One Guantanamo detainee's story, Mother Jones, September/October 2006 issue
- list of prisoners (.pdf), US Department of Defense, April 20, 2006
- "Detainee Transfer Announced". US Department of Defense. March 1, 2007. Retrieved March 1, 2007.
- "Former Guantanamo Inmates Go On Trial In Tajikistan". Radio Free Europe. August 7, 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- Bernard Hibbitts (August 18, 2007). "Tajikistan high court sentences ex-Guantanamo detainees". The Jurist. Archived from the original on August 23, 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-23.
- Carol Rosenberg (2009-07-07). "Fearful Guantánamo captive wants to stay behind". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2009-07-07.[dead link]
- OARDEC (2008-10-09). "Consolidated chronological listing of GTMO detainees released, transferred or deceased" (PDF). Department of Defense. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-12-20. Retrieved 2008-12-28.
- "Tajik citizen says he prefers Guantanamo to returning home". Hurriyet Daily News. 2009-11-17. Archived from the original on 2009-11-18.
- His date of arrival in Guantanamo was not published.
- GREGORY G. KATSAS (2008-10-31). "Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation: Doc 910 -- NOTICE OF TRANSFER OF PETITIONER AND WITHDRAWAL OF REQUEST FOR DESIGNATION OF CERTAIN INFORMATION AS PROTECTED INFORMATION" (PDF). United States Department of Justice. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-11-11. Retrieved 2008-11-06.