Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
|Mehran University of Engineering and Technology|
|Sindh University Engineering College|
Motto in English
|Nurturing the Engineering Graduates with Deep Perception and Wide Perspective|
|Chancellor||Governor of Sindh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Muhammad Aslam Uqaili|
|Location||Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Baby blue, Steel blue, White|
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (Sindhi: مھراڻ يونيورسٽي آف انجنيئرنگ اينڊ ٽيڪنالاجي) informally: Mehran University) (Urdu: مہران یونیورسٹی آف انجینئرنگ اینڈ ٹیکنالوجی), is a public research university located in Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan. In its neighborhood is located the Sindh University and Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences; it is one of the premier institution of higher learning in the country with a strong focus on industrial management and engineering.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Affiliated colleges and institutes
- 4 University membership and association
- 5 Famous alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Established in 1963 in a direct response to industrialization as Sind University Engineering College, it was affiliated with Sindh University (est. 1951) at Jamshoro until 1973, when the charter of "Engineering University" was granted under the title of "Mehran University of Engineering & Technology". The first batch of MUET was inducted in January 1974 with enrollment of 450 students in civil, mechanical, electrical, electronics, metallurgy, chemical and industrial engineering.
Initially the classes were started at Government College of Technology, Sakrand Road, Nawabshah, with students residing in college hostels (some class rooms were converted into residential dormitory). Some students acquired private houses in the Society area in Nawabshah, where they lived for two years until newly constructed hostel blocks were made available adjacent to the college campus. Notable residences in the area included Sukkur House, Maruwara Hostel and Arab House (where Jordanian, Palestinian and some other foreign national students stayed).
With the induction of third batch in 1976, the students of the first batch were shifted to Jamshoro to complete their third year and final year of engineering education. This was predominately due to availability of well equipped laboratories and highly qualified faculty at MUET Jamshoro campus, and also due to shortage of space for classrooms and labs at Nawabshah since the number of students had risen to 1500 when the third batch was admitted. The same practice continued for other junior batches who passed their second year of engineering at MUET, Nawabshah and were transferred to MUET Campus at Jamshoro to resume fifth semester (third year).
The school is ranked among the top ten institutions of higher learning in Pakistan by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) as of 2013. The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies in engineering, business and industrial management, humanities, philosophy, and fine arts. In addition, it is certified as having ISO 9000 compliant business processes. The university is also a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
Mehran University offers courses leading to bachelor's degrees in 17 disciplines. There are 15 degrees in engineering. The remaining two are non-engineering degrees in related fields: Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) and Bachelor of City & Regional Planning (B.CRP). The undergraduate disciplines and institutes under their respective faculty are given below:
Faculty of Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering
- Textile Engineering
Faculty of Electrical, Electronics and Computer System Engineering (FEECE)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
Faculty of Architecture & Civil Engineering
- City & Regional Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Institute of Water Resources Engineering & Management
The postgraduate courses were started in 1978 leading to the M.E. degree, initially, in three branches. At present, courses are offered in the specialized fields of:
- Industrial Electronics
- Mining Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Communication Systems and Networks
- Electronics System Engineering
- Telemedicine and eHealth System
- Information Technology
- Computer Science And Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Public Health Engineering
- Telecommunication and Control Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Electrical Power Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Environmental Engineering & Management
- Geo-technical Engineering
- Material science and Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
Some courses are offered full-time during the day while others are part-time, conducted during the evenings. Sometimes, a course may be dropped in a given year because of an inadequate number of students. The degrees to be awarded may be post-graduate diploma (P.G.D.), Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), depending upon the quality and quantity of the research/work completed.
Postgraduate studies and research are organized by departments as well as the following specialized institutes.
- Institute of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Institute of Environmental Engineering and Management
- Institute of Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering
- Institute of Information & Communication Technology
- Mehran University Institute of Science & Technology Development
- Directorate of Post-graduate Studies
- Computer Systems department
Ranking and reputation
In 2013 MUET ranks as the 4th best engineering degree-awarding institutions in the Pakistan, Number 1 engineering university of Sindh and Number 1 in Public Sector, in 2010 MUET ranked as 351st best university in the world by QS Rankings, MUET attracts foreign students, mostly from South Asian, Middle Eastern and African countries.
Mehran University has published the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (MURJ) since January 1982; the journal is being abstracted at Pakistan Scientific Research Information Center (PASTIC), Islamabad; National Transportation Research Board, USA; American Concrete Institute, USA; HRIS, USA; NTIS, USA; National Library of Congress, USA; and INSPEC, UK, among other catalogues.
Affiliated colleges and institutes
- Government College of Technology, Hyderabad
- The Hyderabad Institute of Arts, Science and Technology, Hyderabad
- Mehran College of Science and Technology, Hyderabad
MUET SZAB Campus, Khairpur Mir's
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology SZAB Campus(Sindhi: انجنيئرڱ ۽ ٽيڪنيڀياس جي جامعہ مهراڻ خیر پور.) informally: Mehran University, is a public university located in Khairpur Mir's. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate in engineering. The Government of Sindh vide its Notification No. SO(C-IV) SGA&CD/4-29/09 dated 2 April 2009 constituted a High Power Board of Director for establishment of constituent College of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro named as Mehran University College of Engineering & Technology at Khairpur Mirs.
The campus has been upgraded from college to campus and renamed as Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Campus. The campus is offering education in four disciplines of civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and petroleum & natural gas engineering. Being a campus of Mehran University of Engineering & Technology, the campus has the same teachings system, courses of studies, rules and procedures for admissions and examination system as the Mehran University contains. The campus is headed by Pro-VC who will work under the administrative control of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro. The number of students admitted to the First Year classes in all four under-graduate disciplines viz. civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and petroleum & natural gas engineering is 240 (160 under Regular Scheme and 80 under Self Financing Scheme).
University membership and association
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) U.K., 1998-99.
- UNESCO International Centre for Engineering Education (UICEE), Australia, 2000.
- Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW), Rabat, Morocco, 1999.
- Commonwealth Universities Study Abroad Consortium (CUSAC), U.K., 2000-2001.
- Community of Science (COS) USA, 2001.
- PANCID, 2001.
- The Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
- Azarbaijanian Industrial Institute of Ministry of Education of Azerbaijanian Republic
- IUBAT International University of Business Agricultural and Technology, Bangladesh
- National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA) Karachi
- University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign
- Colorado St. University, at Fort Collins
- University of Central Florida, Orlando
- University of Leeds, UK
- University of Nottingham
- Montan University, Leoben, Austria
- Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- University of Putra, Malaysia
- University of Natal, South Africa
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- University of Southampton
- Beijing Technology and Business University
- Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Al Futtaim Technologies
- Dr M. Abdul Rehman
- Engr. Prof. Dr. Madad Ali Shah
- Prof. Dr. Abdul Rehman Memon
- Prof. Dr. Muhammad Aslam Uqaili
- Aftab Hussain, Managing Director & CEO, Pakistan Refinery Limited, Karachi
- Prof. Dr. Abdul Ghani Pathan, dean Faculty of Engineering
- Dr. Shamsuddin M. Qureshi — former vice chancellor; federal secretary, Ministry of Science and Technology, Pakistan
- Dr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry, director of Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Pakistan
- Sharjeel Inam Memon
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Sciences & Technology
- Sindh Agriculture University
- University of Sindh
- "Location and address of Mehran University". Google maps. google maps. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Mehran University Press. "A Brief History". Mehran University Press. Mehran University Press. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Govt. Pakistan. "HEC Ranking". Govt. Pakistan. Higher Education Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "ISO 9000:2008". Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ACU members. "ACU members". ACU members. ACU members. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "First ever AITAA distinguished alumni award". Asian Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- Facebook Page of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Admissions at Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Faculty of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Mehran University College of Engineering and Technology, Khairpur Mir's
- Centre of Excellence Art & Design, MUET
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, MUET
- IEEE EMBS-MUET Chapter
- IEEE RAS-MUET Chapter