Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
|Sindh University Engineering College|
Motto in English
|Nurturing the Engineering Graduates with enhanced Perception and Wide Perspective|
|Chancellor||Chief Minister of Sindh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Mohammad Aslam Uqaili|
|Location||Jamshoro, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Baby blue, Steel blue, Light green, White|
|Affiliations||HEC, PEC, PCATP|
Established in July 1976, as a campus of the University of Sindh, and a year later was chartered as an independent university. It was ranked 6th in engineering category of Higher Education Institutions in the "5th Ranking of Pakistani Higher Education Institutions" in 2016.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 2.1 Undergraduate studies
- 2.2 Graduate studies
- 2.3 USPCASW – U.S.-Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Water
- 2.4 Research
- 2.5 Societies and Clubs
- 2.6 Affiliated colleges and institutes
- 2.7 MUET SZAB Campus, Khairpur Mir's
- 3 ISO Audit
- 4 University membership and association
- 5 Famous alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Established in 1963 in a direct response to industrialization as Sind University Engineering College, it was affiliated with Sindh University (est. 1951) at Jamshoro until 1973, when the charter of "Engineering University" was granted under the title of "Mehran University of Engineering & Technology". The first batch of MUET was inducted in January 1974 with enrollment of 450 students in civil, mechanical, electrical, electronics, metallurgy, chemical and industrial engineering.
Initially the classes were started at Government College of Technology, Sakrand Road, Nawabshah, with students residing in college hostels (some class rooms were converted into residential dormitory). Some students acquired private houses in the Society area in Nawabshah, where they lived for two years until newly constructed hostel blocks were made available adjacent to the college campus. Notable residences in the area included Sukkur House, Maruwara Hostel and Arab House (where Jordanian, Palestinian and some other foreign national students stayed).
With the induction of third batch in 1976, the students of the first batch were shifted to Jamshoro to complete their third year and final year of engineering education. This was predominately due to availability of well equipped laboratories and highly qualified faculty at MUET Jamshoro campus, and also due to shortage of space for classrooms and labs at Nawabshah since the number of students had risen to 1500 when the third batch was admitted. The same practice continued for other junior batches who passed their second year of engineering at MUET, Nawabshah and were transferred to MUET Campus at Jamshoro to resume fifth semester (third year).
The school is ranked among the top ten institutions of higher learning in Pakistan by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) as of 2013. The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate, and doctoral studies in engineering, business and industrial management, humanities, philosophy, and fine arts. In addition, it is certified as having ISO 9000 compliant business processes. The university is also a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.
Faculty of Engineering
- Chemical engineering|Chemical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering|Industrial Engineering & Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering|Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- computer system engineering
Faculty of Electrical, Electronics and Computer System Engineering (FEECE)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Institute of Information & Communication Technologies
- Software Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
Faculty of Architecture & Civil Engineering
- City & Regional Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Institute of Environmental Engineering & Management
- Institute of Water Resources Engineering & Management
Faculty of Basic Sciences
- Basic Sciences & Related Studies
- English Language Development Center
- Mehran University Institute of Science, Technology & Development
The postgraduate courses were started in 1978 leading to the M.E. degree, initially, in three branches. At present, courses are offered in the specialized fields of:
- Energy & Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Electronics
- Mining Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Communication Systems and Networks
- Electronics System Engineering
- Telemedicine and eHealth System
- Information Technology
- Computer Science And Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Public Health Engineering
- Telecommunication and Control Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Electrical Power Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Environmental Engineering & Management
- Geo-technical Engineering
- Material science and Engineering
- Energy Systems Engineering
Some courses are offered full-time during the day while others are part-time, conducted during the evenings. Sometimes, a course may be dropped in a given year because of an inadequate number of students. The degrees to be awarded may be post-graduate diploma (P.G.D.), Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), depending upon the quality and quantity of the research/work completed.
Postgraduate studies and research are organized by departments as well as the following specialized institutes.
- Institute of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering
- Institute of Environmental Engineering and Management
- Institute of Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering
- Institute of Information & Communication Technology
- Mehran University Institute of Science & Technology Development
- Directorate of Post-graduate Studies
- Computer Systems department
USPCASW – U.S.-Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Water
The USPCASW – U.S.-Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Water, has recently been established at the Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET) Jamshoro, with financial support of United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Pakistan under the Cooperative Agreement signed with USAID on Dec.12, 2014 for five years.
The University of Utah (UU), USA is providing technical assistance to MUET for advancing the development and growth of USPCAS-W. The tangible deliverables of the Center include postgraduate degree programs, applied policy research, facilitation of public-private partnerships, and provision of policy advice in a range of water related disciplines. Main purpose of the applied research component is to deliver relevant and innovative research to meet the needs of industry, civil society and government.
Mehran University has published the quarterly Mehran University Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (MURJ) since January 1982; the journal is being abstracted at Pakistan Scientific Research Information Center (PASTIC), Islamabad; National Transportation Research Board, USA; American Concrete Institute, USA; HRIS, USA; NTIS, USA; ; and INSPEC, UK, .
Societies and Clubs
- IEEE MUET Student Branch
- IEEE EMBS-MUET Chapter
- IEEE RAS-MUET Chapter
- IEEE WiE MUET Chapter
- IEEE IES - MUET Chapter
- Society for Women Engineers (SWE) - MUET Chapter
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, MUET
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- Mehran UET Model United Nation
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship Society -
- Mehran University Debating Society
- Mehran University Alumni Association
Affiliated colleges and institutes
- Government College of Technology, Hyderabad
- The Hyderabad Institute of Arts, Science and Technology, Hyderabad
- Mehran College of Science and Technology, Hyderabad
MUET SZAB Campus, Khairpur Mir's
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology SZAB Campus(Sindhi: انجنيئرڱ ۽ ٽيڪنيڀياس جي جامعہ مهراڻ خیر پور.) informally: Mehran University, is a public university located in Khairpur Mir's. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate in engineering. The Government of Sindh vide its Notification No. SO(C-IV) SGA&CD/4-29/09 dated 2 April 2009 constituted a High Power Board of Director for establishment of constituent College of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro named as Mehran University College of Engineering & Technology at Khairpur Mirs.
The campus has been upgraded from college to campus and renamed as Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Campus. The campus is offering education in four disciplines of civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering, electronics engineering, and petroleum & natural gas engineering. Being a campus of Mehran University of Engineering & Technology, the campus has the same teachings system, courses of studies, rules and procedures for admissions and examination system as the Mehran University contains. The campus is headed by Pro-VC who will work under the administrative control of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro. The number of students admitted to the First Year classes in all four under-graduate disciplines viz. civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and petroleum & natural gas engineering is 240 (160 under Regular Scheme and 80 under Self Financing Scheme).
On April 28, an independent audit by a team of International Organization for Standardization 9001:2008 found glaring omissions in the MUET examination controller’s department. These include lack of clarity of the authorities’ matrix as to who is authorised for what; lack of secrecy in department’s security where the doors were found open; manual, handwritten ledgers that have yet to be computerised and untrained coordinators for ISO.
University membership and association
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) U.K., 1998-99.
- UNESCO International Centre for Engineering Education (UICEE), Australia, 2000.
- Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW), Rabat, Morocco, 1999.
- Commonwealth Universities Study Abroad Consortium (CUSAC), U.K., 2000-2001.
- Community of Science (COS) USA, 2001.
- PANCID, 2001.
- The Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
- Azarbaijanian Industrial Institute of Ministry of Education of Azerbaijanian Republic
- IUBAT International University of Business Agricultural and Technology, Bangladesh
- National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA) Karachi
- University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign
- Colorado St. University, at Fort Collins
- University of Central Florida, Orlando
- University of Leeds, UK
- University of Nottingham
- Mountain University, Leoben, Austria
- Kyushu Institute of Technology, Japan
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- University of Putra, Malaysia
- University of Natal, South Africa
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- University of Southampton
- Beijing Technology and Business University
- Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Al Futtaim Technologies
- Prof. Dr. Abdul Haque Tunio, Director of Institute of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, MUET, Jamshoro, Pakistan 
- Dr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry, director of Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Pakistan
- Dr Zulfiqar Ali Umrani, Manager Research & Development (Innovation & Entrepreneurship) ORIC
- Dr. Zeeshan Khatri, Principal Investigator, Nanomaterials Research Lab and Associate Professor at Department of Textile Engineering. He is author of number of articles on Nanofiber research. More about Dr. Zeeshan Khatri.
- Wali Memon, M.Eng., MBA, PMP, P.Eng., Senior Project Manager, AECOM
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Sciences & Technology
- Sindh Agriculture University
- University of Sindh
- "Location and address of Mehran University". Google maps. google maps. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "A Brief History | Mehran University". www.muet.edu.pk. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- "HEC announces university rankings - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- "5th Ranking of Pakistani Higher Education Institutions" (PDF). 8th Ranking of Pakistani Higher Education Institutions. February 23, 2016.
- Govt. Pakistan. "HEC Ranking". Govt. Pakistan. Higher Education Commission. Archived from the original on May 25, 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Mehran University Press. "A Brief History". Mehran University Press. Mehran University Press. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "ISO 9000:2008". Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ACU members. "ACU members". ACU members. ACU members. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "How to become an engineer even after failing - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2016-05-31. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- Facebook Page of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Admissions at Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Faculty of Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
- Mehran University College of Engineering and Technology, Khairpur Mir's
- Centre of Excellence Art & Design, MUET
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, MUET
- IEEE EMBS-MUET Chapter
- IEEE RAS-MUET Chapter