Mehrauli Archaeological Park
Mehrauli Archaeological Park is an archaeological area spread over 200 acre in Mehrauli, Delhi, adjacent to Qutub Minar World Heritage site and the Qutb complex. It consists of over 100 historically significant monuments. It is the only area in Delhi known for 1,000 years of continuous years of occupation, and includes the ruins of Lal Kot built by Tomar Rajputs in 1060 CE, making it the oldest extant fort of Delhi, and architectural relics of subsequent period, rule of Khalji dynasty, Tughlaq dynasty, Lodhi dynasty of Delhi Sultanate, Mughal Empire, and the British Raj.
The park contains sites like Tomb of Balban, ca 1287 CE, wherein a true arch and the true dome were built for the first time in India, Jamali Kamali Mosque and Tomb of Maulana Jamali Kamali (Jamali Kamboh), built 1526 - 1535 CE, Quli Khan's Tomb, Gandhak ki Baoli, Rajon Ki Baoli, a stepwell, and Madhi Masjid. Other near by monuments Jahaz Mahal, Zafar Mahal of Bahadur Shah II alias Lal Mahal, Hauz-i-Shamsi and Tomb of Adham Khan. Pillars and remains of several old temples are also lay scattered in the park.
Redevelopment and conservation
The redevelopment of the area as an archaeological park and conservation of important structures started in 1997, in collaboration between Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC), the State Department of Archaeology, the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), which first started systematic documentation of structures in the area and also started conducting heritage walks since 2000.
Notable monuments and structures
Balban's tomb, Mehrauli, ca 1287 CE
Walled mosque adjacent to the Baoli
British Agent, Sir Thomas Metcalfe's Guest House at Dilkusha close to Quli Khan's tomb.
- "A successful conservation story". The Hindu. 9 February 2004. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Years of neglect and many talks later, Mehrauli park will get a touch-up". Indian Express. 30 December 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "Discover new treasures around Qutab". The Hindu. 28 March 2006. Retrieved 19 February 2013..
- Half Day Itinerary Delhi Tourism.
- "Unkempt and uncared for". The Hindu. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Heritage Walks: Mehrauli Archaeological Park at INTACH
- "In Mehrauli park, where history lies waiting". Indian EXpress. 17 December 2012.
- Monuments of Delhi