First published on August 14, 1949, by Estonian immigrants, Meie Kodu was published between 1949 and 1954. The Estonian community in Australia in 1949 was estimated to be approximately 3,000 people. Most Estonians who arrived in Australia following the end of World War Two came as 'displaced persons' who were leaving their homeland following the imposition of Soviet rule in Estonia in 1944.
Typical of other non-English language newspapers in Australia,Meie Kodu played an important role in keeping newly arrived Estonians aware of the domestic situation in Estonia and also played an important role in providing information useful for daily living in their adopted home of Australia - "...to acquaint readers with the life of Estonians here, their working conditions as well as their social activities, their political status and their hopes, in order to lighten our countrymen’s task of settling to a new life”.
While regular weekly production of Meie Kodu ended in December 1954, the last issue was published on 29 September 1955.
- Zubrzycki, Jerzy; Miriam Gilson (1967). The foreign-language press in Australia, 1848-1964. Australian National University.
- "Meie Kodu". Australian Newspaper Digitisation Project. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Oras, Ants (1967). Estonian literature in exile: An essay. Eesti Kirjanike Kooperatiiv.
- Vidang, V. (19 August 1949). "Introduction". Meie Kodu. p. 3. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Meie Kodu". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Meie Kodu = Our Home (Sydney, NSW : 1949 - 1954) at Trove Digitised newspapers and more
- Press timeline: Select chronology of significant Australian press events to 2011 *http://www.nla.gov.au/anplan/heritage/NewspaperChronology.html
- The birth of the newspaper in Australia http://web.archive.org/web/20121021091603/http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/birth-of-the-newspaper
- Isaacs, Victor, Kirkpatrick, Rod and Russell, John (2004). Australian Newspaper History: A Bibliography http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:9521/anb_rk.pdf
- Estonian Archives in Australia
- Meie uus kodu : Estonian-Australian Stories