Meinir Elin Gwilym
|Born||31 March 1983|
|Origin||Llangristiolus, Wales, United Kingdom|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, acoustic guitar|
Meinir Elin Gwilym (born 31 March 1983) is a Welsh-language pop and folk singer. Raised in Llangristiolus, Anglesey, she released her first EP, "Smôcs, Coffi a Fodca Rhad" (translates into English as "Smokes, Coffee and Cheap Vodka") in 2002. Her website claims that she is amongst the best-selling Welsh language musicians in history.
Gwilym worked as a radio presenter on the afternoon request show for Radio Cymru, the BBC's Welsh-language service, alongside Dylan Wyn. She now works on S4C's nightly magazine show Wedi 7, and presents weekend shows on Heart Cymru in Anglesey and Gwynedd.
Meinir Gwilym was born in Wales in 1983, and educated at Ysgol Henblas in Llangristiolus, and later, Ysgol Gyfun in Llangefni. Gwilym comes from a musical family, with a grandfather who played the piano, her other grandfather who wrote lyrics, and a mother and sister who are fond of singing. She competed in the Urdd Eisteddfod as a child, and began writing songs around the age of fourteen.
Gwilym released her first EP, Smôcs, Coffi a Fodca Rhad in 2002. In the same year, she signed on to the Welsh record label Gwynfryn Cymunedol, and won Composer of the Year and Best Female Artist at the BBC Radio Cymru Rock and Pop awards. She released her first album, Dim Ond Clwydda (English: Nothing But Lies) in November 2003, and following the success of this release, she came under the sponsorship of Yamaha in 2004. On 1 March 2014, Gwilym made her North American debut headlining the Los Angeles St. David's Day Festival.
Television and radio
Gwilym worked as a radio presenter on the afternoon request show for Radio Cymru, the BBC's Welsh-language service, alongside Dylan Wyn. for a period of three years. She currently presents weekend shows on Heart Cymru in Anglesey and Gwynedd.
She has also made many television appearances, particularly on the Welsh-language channel S4C. In 2005, Blwyddyn Meinir Gwilym (English: Meinir Gwilym's Year), a one-hour documentary that followed Meinir's steps for an entire year was broadcast. Most recently, she has been hosting a music programme on S4C, Noson Chis a Meinir (English: Chis and Meinir's Night) alongside Huw Chiswell. Since January 2009 she has worked on S4C's nightly magazine show Wedi 7. She is also a presenter on the S4C gardening show, Garddio a mwy.
- Llwybrau (2016)
- Sworn Protector / Rho I Mi (2014) released in aid of The Gentle Barn Los Angeles and Freshfields Animal Sanctuary Wales
- Celt (2014) US debut
- Tombola (2008)
- Sgandal Fain (2005)
- Dim Ond Clwydda (2003)
- Smôcs, Coffi a Fodca Rhad (2002)
- "000webhost.com - free web hosting provider". Meinirgwilym.com. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
-  Archived 19 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Meinir back on stage to get degree". Archived from the original on 17 May 2011. Retrieved 6 April 2013 – via HighBeam Research.
- "My music is close to my heart".[dead link]
- "Global firm tips Meinir for the top".[dead link]
- "St David's Day: Wales around the world". Daily Post. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "cheap web hosting". Wednesday, 11 January 2017