|• unofficial||Shaykh Maysar, Shaykh Maysir, Khirbat Maysar|
|Grid position||154/205 PAL|
|Name meaning||Sheikh Meisir, p.n.; meaning a certain gambling game with arrows.|
Meiser (Arabic: ميسر; Hebrew: מֵיסִר, also known as Shaykh Maysar or Khirbat Maysar) is an Israeli Arab village in northern Israel. Located half a kilometre west of the Green Line, north of the city of Baqa al-Gharbiyye in the triangle area of Wadi Ara, it is one of three Arab villages under the jurisdiction of Menashe Regional Council. In 2015 it had a population of 1,880.
In 1882, during the late Ottoman era, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) found at Sheikh Meisir "foundations near a modern Mukam" (Muslim tomb). In spite of this, Andrew Petersen, who inspected the Mukam in 1994, suggested "that the building may be considerably older than the nineteenth century."
British Mandate era
In 1945 Meiser was counted with Qaffin and Kh. el Aqaba, together they had a population of 1,570 Muslims, with a land area of 23,755 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 5,863 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 8,371 were used for cereals, while 40 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
- "List of localities, in Alphabetical order" (PDF). Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 152
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 68
- Petersen, 2001, p. 283
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Jenin, p. 30
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 21
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 76
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 127
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 177
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Petersen, Andrew (2001). A Gazetteer of Buildings in Muslim Palestine (British Academy Monographs in Archaeology). I. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-727011-0.