The plexus of the submucosa from the rabbit. X 50.
|Latin||Plexus nervosus submucosus, plexus submucosus,
|Anatomical terms of neuroanatomy|
|This article is one of a series on the|
The nerves of the small intestines are derived from the plexuses of parasympathetic nerves around the superior mesenteric artery. From this source, they run to the myenteric plexus (Auerbach's plexus) of nerves and ganglia situated between the circular muscular fibers and the longitudinal muscle fibers of the muscularis externa. From this a secondary plexus, the plexus of the submucosa (Meissner's plexus, submucous plexus, submucosal plexus, plexus submucosus) is derived, and it is formed by branches that have perforated the circular muscular fibers. This plexus lies in the submucous coat of the intestine; it also contains ganglia from which nerve fibers pass to the muscularis mucosae and to the mucous membrane.
They contain Dogiel cells. The nerve bundles of the submucous plexus are finer than those of the myenteric plexus. Its function is to innervate cells in the epithelial layer and the smooth muscle of the muscularis mucosae.
14% of submucosal plexus neurons are sensory neurons - Dogiel type II, also known as enteric primary afferent neurones (EPANs) or intrinsic primary afferent neurones (IPANs)). In Auerbach plexus there are 30% of the enteric sensory neurons.
German Georg Meissner was one of the first to further research the nervous system and found Meissners' plexus.
- Stach, W (1979). "[Differentiated vascularization of Dogiel's cell types and the preferred vascularization of type I/2 cells within plexus myentericus (Auerbach) ganglia of the pig (author's transl)].". Anatomischer Anzeiger (in German) 145 (5): 464–73. PMID 507375.
- Anatomy and physiology of the enteric nervous system, M Costa,S J H Brookes,G W Hennig, Gut 2000;47:iv15-iv19 doi:10.1136/gut.47.suppl_4.iv15 , http://gut.bmj.com/content/47/suppl_4/iv15.full
- Physiology: 6/6ch1/s6ch1_10 - Essentials of Human Physiology
- submucosal+plexus at eMedicine Dictionary
- Anatomy Atlases - Microscopic Anatomy, plate 10.201