Meitar Liquornik Geva Leshem Tal
|Headquarters||Ramat Gan, Israel|
|Maya Liquornik, Partner
Dan Geva, Partner
Dr. Israel Leshem, Partner
Dalia Tal, Partner
Number of employees
Meitar Liquornik Geva Leshem Tal was Israel's largest law firm in 2014. The firm specializes in commercial law and has a legal team of over 280 lawyers and 50 legal interns. It is best known for representing Israeli and international clients in mergers and acquisitions, commercial matters, litigation, high-tech, capital markets, banking, antitrust, taxation and other legal matters. Meitar's offices are located in Ramat Gan.
The firm was founded in 1962 by the late Adv. Zvi Meitar, and was headed by him until his retirement in 2001. In the 1990s Zvi Meitar founded one of Israel's largest concerns, the Aurec Group, together with his brother Shmuel Meitar and Morris Khan. The Aurec Group included Amdocs, Zap Group, the local AIG insurance company and local telecommunications companies. Zvi Meitar was elected three times to serve as Chair of the Tel Aviv District Committee of the Israel Bar Association between the years 1983 and 1995, and served 12 years as a member of the Judicial Selection Committee.
During 1994 Adv. Maya Liquornik joined the firm as a partner after working at Weil, Gotshal & Manges in New York. Adv. Dan Geva joined the firm in 1995 as a partner after working at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in New York and serving as a senior executive at Amdocs.
In 2003 Meitar Liquornik Geva & Co. merged with the office of Leshem Brandwein & Co. which specialized in litigation and the Israeli capital market, and was headed by Dr. Israel (Reli) Leshem and Adv. Dror Brandwein. This merger constituted one of the largest mergers in the Israeli legal sector. Following the merger the office was called Meitar Liquornik Geva & Leshem Brandwein and emerged as one of the largest law offices in Israel.
In 2007 Meitar Liquornik Geva & Leshem Brandwein merged with the firm of Gellert, Gellert, Frishtik. Adv. Alon Gellert is an expert in administrative law who served as the legal adviser to the Office of the Prime Minister of Israel and Adv. Gidi Frishtik is an expert in environmental, infrastructure and local authorities law. In 2011 Adv. Yoav Sade and Adv. Ram Landa of the office of Sade-Landa became part of Meitar Liquornik Geva & Leshem Brandwein. Adv. Yoav Sade was the head of the legal department of the Eisenberg Group and currently serves as the vice-chair of the Israel-China Chamber of Commerce. Adv. Ram Landa has served as the legal adviser to the Representative of the Israeli Industry and Trade Office in the US.
In 2013 Meitar Liquornik Geva & Leshem Brandwein merged with the office of Kantor Elhanani Tal & Co., headed by Dalia Tal and specializing in banking, real estate, insolvency and litigation. After this merger the office took on its current name – Meitar Liquornik Geva Leshem Tal, Law Offices.
In 2016, Adv. Eyal Rosovksy joined the firm, together with his team of 20 attorneys. The addition of this team further strengthened Meitar's litigation department, as it became the largest litigation department in the country. This step also reinforced Meitar's position as Israel's largest law firm.
The firm specializes in commercial law, with special expertise in mergers and acquisitions, high-tech, banking, litigation and capital markets. Additional practices include real estate, taxation, corporate law, corporate finance and capital-raising, commercial agreements in Israel and overseas, intellectual property and technology-related transactions, telecommunications, antitrust, regulation, homeland security and defense, planning and construction, energy, infrastructure, administrative law, environmental law, tender law, labor law, the legal aspects of local government, as well as China and Far East markets.
The firm was the attorney of record on a long list of high-profile cases:
- Representation of Mylan in its $30 billion unsolicited offer to acquire all of the issued share capital of Perrigo Company Plc., in what became the largest hostile takeover offer in Israeli history. During the representation (which was fully covered by the media) the firm also made new Israeli law regarding the ability of foreign corporations with antitakeover defenses to dual-list their shares on the TASE.
- Representation of Lumenis in its acquisition by XIO Group for approximately $510 million.
- Representation of SolarEdge Technologies, Inc. in its $126 million initial public offering on NASDAQ.
- Representation in the privatization of Bank Leumi, Bank Mizrahi, Bank Hapoalim, Union Bank and Dexia Israel Bank.
- Representation of Berkshire Hathaway Corporation and Iscar in the $4 billion acquisition of Iscar by Berkshire Hathaway.
- Representation of Mobileye in the Largest Israeli IPO ever on NYSE raising $890 million.
- Representation of AstraZeneca, Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Merck & Co, Eli Lilly & Co and additional pharmaceutical companies in several product liability class actions worth billions of New Israeli Shekels.
- Representation of Covidien in its $1 billion cash acquisition of TASE/Nasdaq-listed Given Imaging.
- Taking Amdocs public on the NYSE.
- Representation of Sun Pharmaceuticals in a control battle over Taro Pharmaceuticals.
- Representation of the State of Israel and the Israel Electric Corporation in public offerings worth about $5 billion.
- Representation of Cyvera in its acquisition by Palo Alto Networks.
- Advising Cisco in a $5 billion transaction for the acquisition of NDS.
- Representation of Rhone Capital in its acquisition of the operating companies of Eden Springs.
- Representation of Objet in its $3 billion dollar merger with Stratasys.
- Representation of Cool Holding in the acquisition of Hot Communication shares from Yedioth Communications.
- Representation of Bezeq-subsidiary Walla in its NIS 800 million cash sale of Yad2 to Germany-based Axel Springer.
- Representation of M-Systems in its $1.6 billion merger with SanDisk Corporation.
Reputation and rankings
In 2014 Meitar was ranked for the first time as the largest law firm in Israel and received the "Reservist Appreciation Award" from the Minister of Defense for encouraging and supporting its employees during reserve duty. The firm was chosen yearly by international rankings (Chambers & Partners and Legal 500) and Israeli rankings (BDI and Dun's 100) as one of Israel's leading law firms in many practice areas.