Mekaal Hasan Band
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mekaal Hasan Band|
Mekaal Hasan Band - Live in Canada at Celebration Square, Mississauga
|Origin||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Genres||Alternative rock, Sufi rock, Jazz|
|Labels||EMI, MHB Music, Sadaf Stereo|
|Associated acts||Junoon, Zeb and Haniya, Noori, Entity Paradigm, Jal, Rubberband|
Mohammad Ahsan Papu
Agha Ibrahim Akram
Riaz Ali Khan
The band members have roots in different genres, including pop, rock music, soul music, and black rock, the combination of each member has created a sound which has earned them fans from a variety of quarters..
Early years (1995-2004)
Songwriter Mekaal Hasan, born in Lahore, Pakistan, was surrounded by music since childhood. His father, Masood Hasan, passionate for jazz music influenced him throughout his early years. After graduating from Government College, Lahore, Mekaal studied music at the Berklee College of Music, Boston and his stay there exposed him to a wide variety of music and musicians, many of whom are influences to this day.
In March 2001, Mekaal collaborated with Pete Lockett in a series of concerts countrywide featuring music written for Pete and classical artists by Mekaal.
Pepsi Battle of the Bands
The band entered the first season of Pepsi Battle of the Bands, in an effort to win the competition and earn a lucrative album deal from Pepsi. The band finished 3rd, behind Aaroh and Entity Paradigm who finished 1st and 2nd respectively.
Mekaal Hasan Band, released their second album in October, 2009. They also released their video of a single "Chal Bulleya" on 2 October 2009. On 3 February 2010, the band's vocalist Javed Bashir decided to part ways after working along with the band for 8 years. On 26 December, in an online poll by Dawn News the band's video for their single, "Chal Bulleya", was voted as the best music video of 2010.
Mekaal Hasan Band's latest album featuring the all new lineup was released September 2014 in Pakistan and India across iTunes, Taazi, Amazon Music and other platforms. Mekaal Hasan Band released just one video from a live performance of the track 'Ghunghat', despite being a live performance it won song of the year in Express Tribune's Critics Choice and in the reader polls and also won song of the year by Dawn News. The album was removed from GIMA Awards for having "foreign roots", although the album featured Indian vocalist Sharmistha Chatterjee in all the songs.
- Studio albums
- Mekaal Hasan – lead guitar (2001–present)
- Mohammad Ahsan Papu – flute (2001–present)
- Sharmistha Chatterjee – lead vocals (2013–present)
- Sheldon D'Silva – bass (2013–present)
- Gino Banks – Drummer (2013–present)
- Riaz Ali Khan – lead vocals (2001–2002)
- Sameer Ahmed – bass guitar (2001–2009)
- Asad Abbas – lead vocals (2010–2011)
- Javed Bashir – lead vocals (2002–2010,2011–2013)
- Amir Azhar – bass (2009–2013)
- Kami Paul – Drummer (2012–2013)
- Mekaal Hasan – Interview Retrieved on November 06, 2009
- "Mekaal Hasan's quest for creating social change through music | TNS - The News on Sunday". tns.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Opinion Poll: Who ruled 2010? Retrieved on 30 December 2010.
- "Discovering the opulent sounds of the Mekaal Hasan Band | TNS - The News on Sunday". tns.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "https://www.dawn.com/news/1162924". dawn.com. Retrieved 2018-02-08. External link in