Mekelle University (Tigrinya: መቐለ ዩኒቨርሲቲ) is a higher education and training public institution located in Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia. Mekelle University is one of the largest public universities in Ethiopia. It has seven colleges, eight institutes, and more than 90 undergraduate and 70 postgraduate programs. The student intake capacity of Mekelle University has reached 31,000 or 10% of Mekelle's population.
The Arid Zone Agricultural College was established at the University of Asmara, but was then moved to Agarfa in southern Ethiopia in 1990. In 1993, the Arid Zone Agricultural College was moved to Mekelle and started with 42 students in 3 degree programs. After two years, the Faculty of Science and Technology was established at the same campus and, together, these two faculties were then combined into Mekelle University College. Also, a Faculty of Law started its operation by accepting diploma students through a continuing education program.
In May 2000, the Government of Ethiopia (Council of Ministers, Regulations No. 61/1999 of Article 3) formalized Mekelle University as an autonomous higher education institution.
- College of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources Management
- College of Natural and Computational Sciences
- College of Law and Governance
- College of Social Sciences and Languages
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Health Sciences and Ayder Referral Hospital
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Ethiopian Institute of Technology - Mekelle (EiT-M)
- Institute of Paleo-Environment and Heritage Conservation
- Institute of Geo-Information and Earth Observation
- Institute of Environment, Gender, and Development Studies
- Institute of Water and Environment
- Institute of Climate and Society
- Institute of Pedagogical Sciences
- Mekelle Institute of Technology (MIT-MU)
- Sports Science Academy and Mekelle Stadium (under construction)
- Gebrehiwot, Kindeya. "President's Message". Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- http://www.mu.edu.et/index.php/information-managment/473-mu-2006e-c-students-statistics[permanent dead link]
- "General Information As of January 1, 2018". Mekelle University. Retrieved 6 October 2018.