November 18, 1981 |
Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
|Occupation||Actress, dancer, vocal artist|
Mekia Cox (born November 18, 1981) is an American actress and dancer, known for her recurring role as Sasha in the second and third seasons of 90210 and her role as a dancer in the Michael Jackson concert series This Is It and the related film Michael Jackson's This Is It. In 2010, she assumed a supporting role in Lost creator J. J. Abrams's cancelled spy drama, Undercovers.
As a youth, Cox had a history of dance and theater training and experience. Much of her early work was associated with Universal Studios and Nickelodeon. She continued to train in the performing arts in high school and college. Subsequently, she toured nationally in stage productions of musicals such as Fame.
Cox, a St. Croix native, moved with her family to Orlando, Florida at age seven after spending five years of her youth studying dance in the U.S. Virgin Islands. In 1989, Cox was invited to participate in the Disney's Magic Kingdom Christmas Spectacular show. Due to her proximity to Universal Studios, Cox was able to earn roles as a child actor in various Nickelodeon shows such as My Brother and Me, Keenan and Kel, and All That.
Cox was a 1999 graduate of Dr. Phillips High School where she was enrolled in the Visual and Performing Arts magnet program for vocal performance. Cox earned a Bachelor of Music degree from Florida State University in 2003 after being accepted to their Musical Theater program. During her summers she worked at the Heritage Repertory Theater in Charlottesville, Virginia where she played roles in Smokey Joe's Cafe and Anything Goes one summer and performed as a recurring character in Nickelodeon's show Noah Knows Best during another. Other regional theater credits include Rent in which she played club dancer and drug addict Mimi Márquez, the Chicago role of Liz, and Frenchie in Cabaret.
After graduating, she performed the role of Sarah in Ragtime, the musical at Merry-Go-Round Theater in Auburn, New York. Cox then toured nationally for two years as Carmen in Fame as well as revisiting her role as Brenda in Smokey Joe's Café. After touring and landing her first television role she moved to Los Angeles, where she continues to reside. Among her personal interests are learning how to play guitar and painting.
Television and film career
Prior to her role on Undercovers Cox made guest appearances on several television shows. In 2005, she appeared in CSI: NY, and Half & Half, and she appeared in One Tree Hill as Faith in season 3 episode 10 the following year. More recently she made a guest appearance on Bones and in four episodes of Paradise Hotel in 2008. She also has a role in the musical I Kissed a Vampire as well as an appearance in the marital crisis comedy Crazy, Stupid, Love., which was released in July 2011.
Cox was one of only two women selected for the 11-member dance group from a field of over 500 for the This Is It concert series. She was one of the featured dancers in the documentary film Michael Jackson's This Is It. She can be seen dancing with Jackson during the rehearsal of "The Way You Make Me Feel".
During the 2009 second season of 90210 she appeared in six episodes. She also appears in the fourth episode of season three (October 4, 2010). Her 20-something character, Sasha, becomes the controversial love interest of Tristan Wilds' 17-year-old character, Dixon Wilson. The character is a DJ who met his character at a pizza parlor and a party she DJed on a yacht. Dixon led her to believe he was her age. One of the things that helped them bond despite his status as a high school junior was that they had the same cell phone ringtone. Eventually, Cox's character lies about becoming pregnant to keep Dixon from breaking up with her.
She appeared in all first-season episodes of Undercovers. She plays a character named Lizzy Gilliam, who is the sister of the female lead and who is unaware of her family's involvement in Central Intelligence Agency activities. Originally, Jessica Parker Kennedy was cast in the role, but Cox replaced her in June 2010 before the first episode of the first season was aired in September 2010. Her character is described as "Boy crazy". Cox says that Lizzy's character, which spends much of her onscreen time running the family catering business, embodied much of her own true character and described the character as follows: "Lizzy's a good character; very light-hearted, very fun loving, she’s got a good heart and an interesting past and she’s trying to deal with it".
March 16, 2016 Mekia Cox plays a beautiful, phenomenal and somewhat flirtatious real estate client to Phil Dunphey named Angie in the 160th episode & the 16th episode of the 7th season "The Cover-Up" of Modern Family. In the episode in which Phil and Claire try to hide innocent flirtations with a real estate client, Makia Cox, and yoga instructor, respectively, from one another.
- "Mekia Cox". NBC.com. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Mekia Cox, Lizzy Gilliam". NBC. August 18, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Abbott, Jim (October 27, 2009). "Dr. Phillips grad Mekia Cox talks about working with Michael Jackson". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "Mekia Cox". Sony Music Entertainment. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Mekia Cox". The New York Times. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "Mekia Cox". IMDb.com. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "Crazy, Stupid, Love". TrailerDownload.net. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- "90210 Episodes on CW". TV Guide. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Mangino, Marcy (September 23, 2009). "'90210' recap: season two, episode three 'Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat'". 90210 Examiner (blocked website).
- "Sasha meets Dixon … New Casting Calls For Season 2!". Spoilers Guide. July 10, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Mangino, Marcy (September 24, 2009). "90210 vs. Beverly Hills, 90210: Don't tell them I'm really in high school". 90210 Examiner (blocked website).
- Mangino, Marcy (November 1, 2009). "DJ Samantha Ronson appears on this week's '90210'". 90210 Examiner (blocked website).
- "Ellen's "This Is It" Birthday Performance". MekiaCox.com. January 27, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "This Is It dancers – Michael Jackson – Live On Ellen Show 10-29-2009". September 10, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Hibberd, James (June 14, 2010). "Mekia Cox cast in NBC's 'Undercovers': Replaces Jessica Parker Kennedy on J.J. Abrams series". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Duboff, Josh (June 15, 2010). "Industry Roundup: Criminal Minds Cuts A.J. Cook". New York. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Nededog, Jethro (September 3, 2010). "'Undercovers': Introducing Mekia Cox, the 'boy crazy' Lizzy Gilliam". American Idol News Today. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Reeves, Ri (October 27, 2010). "How Newcomer Mekia Cox Heats Up NBC's 'Undercovers'". Vibe. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mekia Cox.|