|Born||Melanie Ann Sykes
7 August 1970
Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, England
|Occupation||Television and radio presenter, model|
|Television||Today with Des and Mel (2002–2006)
The Vault (2003–2004)
Let's Do Lunch (2011–2014)
Let's Do Christmas (2012–2014)
Humble Pie (2015)
|Spouse(s)||Daniel Caltagirone (m. 2001–2009; divorced)
Jack Cockings (m. 2013–2016; divorced)
Melanie Ann Sykes (born 7 August 1970) is an English television and radio presenter, and model. She is best known for co-hosting Today with Des and Mel with Des O'Connor and Let's Do Lunch with Gino D'Acampo.
Sykes was born in Ashton-under-Lyne to an English father and a Catholic Anglo-Indian mother, Wendy.. She attended Mossley Hollins High School and studied A-level Religious Studies at Ashton Sixth Form College. Sykes was a member of the Ashtonian Brass Band along with her father, mother and two sisters, playing the baritone horn.
Sykes married actor Daniel Caltagirone in January 2001, and the couple had two children: Roman (born 2002) and Valentino Luca (born 21 July 2004), who was diagnosed with autism in 2006. In July 2008, it was reported that the couple had split up, with Sykes having "grown apart" from Caltagirone, who had moved out of their Hampstead, London home. They divorced in June 2009. Sykes married her boyfriend Jack Cockings on 18 May 2013 at Sherborne Castle in Dorset.
In November 2013, Sykes was arrested and cautioned by police over an assault against Cockings. Soon after the domestic assault charges, after less than one year of marriage, Sykes began the process of filing for divorce. On 20 August 2014, the common assault caution was removed from police records.
Sykes first came to public attention as the bikini-clad girl in the Boddingtons Brewery beer advertisements with the broad "Northern" accent in the mid-1990s. Amongst other work, Sykes also modelled for Berlei lingerie.
After first reporting for The Big Breakfast, Sykes has continued her television career, including presenting stints on I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! and as presenter of EastEnders Revealed. In 1999, Sykes presented Melanie Sykes' Southall Stories, a documentary for BBC Two on Asian culture in Great Britain. She has also hosted a variety of awards ceremonies, including Miss World, the BAFTA Awards and the Q Awards.
Sykes' television career stalled for a period, although she made a successful comeback as host of Today with Des and Mel with Des O'Connor in 2003. On 12 May 2006, ITV announced that the show would be one of a number to be axed in a "painful, but utterly necessary" move.
Sykes appeared as a guest panellist on Loose Women in October and November 2005 and later returned as a guest anchor in October 2008 and May 2009.
Sykes presented The A List, a national radio chart show based on total sales, produced by Unique the Production Company at the studios of London's Heart 106.2. She left the show towards the end of 2006 and was replaced by Gail Porter.
Sykes was heard on BBC Radio 2 with Aled Jones sitting in for Steve Wright in the Afternoon on 22, 23 and 24 December 2008. In May 2010, she began co-hosting the BBC Radio 2 show Going Out with Alan Carr after Emma Forbes' resignation. Sykes continued on the show until its end in March 2012. She returned on Boxing Day 2015 with Alan Carr for a one-off show on BBC Radio 2. In January/February 2017 she and Alan again returned to Radio 2 to sit in for Paul O'Grady for 4 weeks.
Sykes has been the face of Head & Shoulders shampoo in Britain, appearing in print and television advertising and the high street chain Matalan. She has also appeared in advertisements for Morrisons, Wynsors World of Shoes and Churchill Insurance.
In 2006, the book Blooming Beautiful: My Plan for Looking Great, Being Healthy and Surviving Hormonal Havoc, Throughout Pregnancy and as a New Mum, co-written by Sykes with Hilary Boyd, was published by Michael Joseph.
On 24 December 2013, on an episode of Let's Do Christmas with Gino & Mel, Sykes and D'Acampo set the new Guinness World Record for "The most jumpers put on in one minute". They managed to put on 11 jumpers in a minute.
Sykes has her own line of underwear and lingerie with high street chain and retailer Debenhams.
In June 2016 Melanie Sykes launched a lifestyle website which features fitness, food and lifestyle content as well as celebrity interviews and competitions.
|1997–2001||The Big Breakfast||Co-presenter|
|1999||Melanie Sykes' Southall Stories||Presenter||TV series|
|2002–2006||Today with Des and Mel||Co-pesenter|
|2003||The British Soap Awards||Co-presenter||One-off special|
|2003–2004||Celebrities Under Pressure||Presenter||2 series (10 episodes)|
|The Vault||Presenter||2 series (24 episodes)|
|2005–2013||Loose Women||Herself||Guest presenter (5 episodes)|
|Guest panellist (8 episodes)|
|2006–2009||The Paul O'Grady Show||Guest presenter||11 episodes|
|2007||Gene Detectives||Presenter||1 series|
|2010||The 5 O'Clock Show||Co-presenter||5 episodes|
|2011||Missing Millions||Co-presenter||1 series (3 episodes)|
|2011–2014||Let's Do Lunch with Gino & Mel||Co-presenter||4 series (88 episodes)|
|2012–2014||Let's Do Christmas with Gino & Mel||Co-presenter||3 series (30 episodes)|
|2014||I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!||Contestant|
|2015||Humble Pie||Co-presenter||1 series (8 episodes)|
- Other appearances
- Blankety Blank (1999)
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (2002)
- Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (2004, 2013)
- The One Show (2009)
- As Seen on TV (2009)
- Saturday Kitchen (2009)
- Hell's Kitchen (2009)
- The Cube: Celebrity Special (2012)
- The One & Only Des O'Connor (2012)
- Celebrity Juice (2014)
- Celebrity Squares (2015)
- Holiday of My Lifetime (2016)
- "Melanie Sykes – Northern Star", FHM, Bauer Media, archived from the original on 22 April 2012, retrieved 7 September 2012
- "1 result(s)". findmypast.co.uk. Findmypast. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "They called me a Paki at school. I stayed out of the sun so I wouldn't get darker; MELANIE SYKES ON AGONY OF GROWING UP ASIAN". The Mirror. Mirror Group Newspapers Ltd. 20 March 1999.
- Mel's Sad Split, Sky News, 21 July 2008, archived from the original on 16 June 2009
- Cable, Simon (5 June 2009), Mel Sykes divorces jobbing actor husband because he 'didn't earn enough', Associated Newspapers, retrieved 7 September 2012
- Saunders, Louise; Duff, Seamus (18 May 2013). "And the bride wore PEACH: Melanie Sykes shares a kiss with new toyboy husband Jack Cockings after countryside wedding". Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Robertson, James (27 November 2013). "Melanie Sykes arrested and cautioned by police over an assault on toyboy husband". Mirror. MGN Limited.
- "Melanie Sykes admits assaulting Jack Cockings". BBC News. BBC. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Barrett, Jessica. "Melanie Sykes to divorce Twitter toyboy husband Jack Cockings after she was cautioned for domestic assault". Mirror. MGN Limited. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Flint, Hanna (21 August 2014). "Melanie Sykes wins court battle against police to have common assault caution withdrawn and removed from records". The Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "ITV swings axe to revive channel". BBC News. BBC. 12 May 2006.
- Gene Detectives at the Internet Movie Database
- "Missing Millions" (Press release). ITV plc. 13 September 2011. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012.
- Hodgson, Claire (14 February 2014). "Melanie Sykes signs five-year deal to present MotoGP World Championship for BT Sport". Daily Mirror.
- Marsden, Liam (30 May 2014). "Melanie Sykes leaves BTSport". MCN. Bauer Consumer Media Ltd.
- Fletcher, Alex (11 November 2014). "I'm a Celebrity lineup confirmed: Michael Buerk, Kendra, Craig Charles". Digital Spy. Hearst UK Entertainment Network. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Pocklington, Rebecca; Jefferies, Mark; Greenwood, Carl; Wilson, Jess (11 November 2014). "I'm a Celebrity 2014 full line up revealed: Gemma Collins is final contestant to land Down Under". Mirror. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Babbage, Rachel (17 July 2015). "Watch announces slice of Humble Pie: Melanie Sykes and Marco Pierre White will present the show that mixes culinary skills with a poker face". Digital Spy. Hearst UK Entertainment Network. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Melanie Sykes appointed new BBC Radio 2 presenter", The Telegraph, Telegraph Media Group Limited, 15 May 2010, retrieved 30 July 2010
- "Melanie Sykes dares to bare at 41 years old in stunning new photo-shoot", The Mirror, Mirror Group Newspapers Ltd, 1 November 2011, retrieved 7 September 2012