|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Tirunelveli City Municipal Corporation|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
|Telephone code||91 (0)462|
|Vehicle registration||TN 72|
The name Melapalayam is derived from its location west of Palayamkottai, Tirunelveli. In Tamil 'Mela' meaning 'West' derived from the word 'Merkku'. Melapalayam is one of the administrative municipal of Tirunelveli Corporation situated in South Indian State of Tamil Nadu with 80% of Muslims and remaining Hindus and Christians. It is located in eastern bank of famous perennial Thamirabarani River. Its east side is covered by Oxford of South India-Palayamkottai. It gets green look in Western side as it is surrounded by fertile paddy fields. The total distance between Tirunelveli and Melapalayam is 4.1 km(2.6 miles ).
- 1 History
- 2 Literacy
- 3 Education
- 4 Masjid's(Mosques)
- 5 Culture
- 6 Business
- 7 Transport
- 8 Marriage
- 9 Food culture
- 10 Hospitals
- 11 Health Issues
- 12 Market
- 13 Banks
- 14 Social Reforms
- 15 C2.Police Station
- 16 Entertainment
- 17 References
- 18 External links
Melapalayam was earlier known as Keela Veera Ragavapuram in British Rule. Old age Tamil Name was "Mangai maa nagar" (Tamil→ மங்கை மா நகர்).
Melapalayam has an average literacy rate of 62.39% higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is 71.59% and Female literacy is 28.41%.
The city was most backward in education till the 21st century. Schools have been developed and education reaches almost every children in the city. Many welfare trust have been formed for these social awareness favoring education. The Muslim Higher Secondary School in Melapalayam secured Tamil Nadu state level second rank in the SSLC examination held during April 2011. Thanks to awareness created by social organizations there is a visible hike in literacy, candidates from Melapalayam now acquired seats in IIT, IISc and other prominent Institutes of India and abroad.
The higher secondary schools here can classified as Government Aided Minority Institutions. Part of the student community of Melapalayam travelling to Palayamkottai for education.
- Manarul Uloom Nursery and Primary School
- AAA MEP Academy (MEP Drafting & Designing Center)
- Adi Dravidar Primary School
- Al Ameen Sabeka Primary School
- Al-Hutha Nursery & Primary School
- Al Irshad Nursery & Primary School
- Alim Oriental Nursery Primary School
- Ansari Nursery & Primary School
- Asamath Nursery & Primary School
- Azad Corporation Primary School
- Bright Nursery & Primary School
- Corporation Primary School, Kurichi
- Corporation Primary School, Haameem puram
- Corporation Primary School, Karungulam
- Ganesapuram East Primary School
- Ganesapuram West Primary School
- Gazanathul Ulum Primary School(New Management), Puthu Manai Moolan street, Near Main Bazaar
- Guru Nursery & Primary School
- Jasmine Nursery & Primary School
- Jawahar Nursery & Primary School, ganiyarappa big street
- MAR Nursery & Primary School,Melapalayam
- Little Flower Nursery & Primary School
- Little Star Nursery & Primary School
- M.K.S. Nursery & Primary School
- Nehru Primary School, Near Kodi Maram Stop
- New Millenium Nursery & Primary School
- New Red Rose Nursery & Primary School
- Quaide Millath Corporation Primary School
- Rahmania Primary School
- S T C Branch Primary School
- Siraj Oriental Nursery Primary School, Near Azura Street, Azad Road
- Sourna Nursery Primary School
- Therku mohideen jamath school
- INDUS INFORMATION SERVICES NETHAJI ROAD,MELAPALAYAM,
- INFOLEARN COMPUTER EDUCATION (SINCE 1998)
- EDESK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS(AAA GROUPS)
- CSC(Computer software College)
- Al - Menaar Nursery & Primary School
- Now one CBSE School
Upper Primary Schools
- Ganesa Moorthi Matric School
- Hameen Middle School
Higher secondary schools
- The Muslim Higher Secondary School
- Muslim Girls Higher Secondary School
- Rahmania Higher Secondary School
- Quaide Millath Higher Secondary School
- Golden Jubile Matric School
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School
List of Colleges
- Annai Hajira Women's College
- Government Engineering College, Tirunelveli also located in the outskirts of Melapalayam.
- Jaamiathul Aliya Fe MaAaliyas Saniyaa Arabic College
- Thaarul Ulum Usmaaniya Arabic College
- Islamic college (newly added)
- Al Irshaad
- Shirin Farhana
- Nashisathun Linisvaan
- Thaglimun Nisvaan
- Magdinul Ulum
- Al Irshad Islamic College for Girls
- Jamshul Buhariya
- Al madrasathul Riffayia
- Tharihatul Ilashiya
- Naasirul Millat Girls Madarasa - Asura East Street
- Al Madrasathul Majithilla
- Al Baakiyathus salihath
- Nasheehathul Islam
- Noorul Islaam Womens Islaamic College
- Irfanul Huda Trust for Education & Charity
The city is almost filled with mosques everywhere (City of Mosques). More than 60 mosques are there in the city. Every two streets has a mosque in between. The grave yard is also attached with major mosques which are located at the end of respective streets. Majority of them are 'Waqf' registered and administrated by local residents usually named as people of particular "Mohalla".
There are two main holidays in Islam: Eid Al-Fitr, Ramadan and Eid Al-Adha. Eid Al-Fitr is celebrated at the end of Ramadan (a month of fasting), and Muslims usually give zakat (charity) on the occasion. Eid Al-Adha is celebrated at the end of Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Mecca), which is one of the five pillars, and Muslims usually sacrifice an animal and distribute its meat among family, friends and the poor. All Islamic holidays follow the lunar calendar, and thus move each year relative to the solar calendar. The Islamic calendar has 12 months and 354 days on a regular year, and 355 days on a leap year.
Apart from this Miladun Nabi and Urs Functions(remember the Muslim saints on their birth/death day) also celebrated wide spread. Renaissance of Islamic Knowledge overshadowed these functions.
Temple festivals (like Kodai Vizha, Panguni Utthiram), Church functions also celebrated by other communities peacefully.
In early years, Handloom trading was a main business. They exported handloom products to various countries such as Sri Lanka & Burma. Now this business totally vanished from the city. As an alternate, Beedi Industry took a place and playing major role in Melapalayam Economy. Most women are engaged in Beedi Rolling works. The predominant business of the people is "Beedi manufacturing". Many of the beedi manufacturers in South India laid their production units in and around Melapalayam. But now the scenario is getting changed and many men are working in all over the parts of India and Gulf countries.
Due to the very closed layout, it is impossible for the government to extend the roads for buses within the city. Buses going towards Melacheval, Pathamadai, Cheranmahadevi, Ambasamudhiram and passes through Melapalayam only. There is no bus facility available within the city. Earlier 'sharing auto' were indulged for the local transport. But later due to the rash driving of the sharing auto drivers, it was also closed and now people are using hire autos for local mobilization.
Currently no bus services from Melapalayam to Tirunelveli Town and limited bus services to Palayamkottai, a main education center of Tirunelveli district and Taluk headquarters of Melapalayam. Due to this, students from Melapalayam struggling in chock-a-block buses in rush hours.
The city has its own marriage tradition. The people used to be married among themselves(almost), they won't go for a bride / bridegroom outside the city. Almost all the marriages will be held only in their residents/ nearby mosque. Before marriage, both the bride and the bridegroom should get a 'NOC'(No Objection Certificate) from any of mosque or jamath. The marriage feast is also famous with unique "Thaalcha" locally known as "Kathirikkaanam" (main ingredient is Brinjal) made for Ghee rice and Biriyani.
Melapalayam is famous for non vegetarian type foods. Special food caterers are available in the city. The food and beverages culture resembles Muslim communities in Kerala and Kayalpattinam. Typical food include Oottu Mavu, Thakkadi, Medical Rice and Vattlappam. Oottu mavu is a type of snack made by powdered rice deep fried with sugar and egg. Thakkadi (modified version of Haleem is another typical food made by powdered rice made into solid pieces which are then soaked in hot masala made with mutton or beef. Medical Rice, popularly known as 'Marunthu Choru (மருந்துச் சோறு) is made with some sidhdha medical ingredients prepared for pregnant people and also during festive. Vattlappam is unique to towns like Melapalayam, Athirambattinam and some other major Muslim towns in Tamil Nadu. The Vatlappam or Egg pudding (as a combination for Idiyappam or Dosa) is made up of eggs, sugar and cocunut extracts. This also very healthy and special food prepared during festivals like Ramzan, Bakrid and marriages.
To serve a dense populated city, hospitals were founded since the 21st century.
List of Hospitals
- Government Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Selvan Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Jayakumar Hospital
- Rathnaswami Hospital
- Vijaya Hospital
- Nizam Hospital
- Paul's Hospital
- Noor hospital
- Meeran Clinic
- Charli Dental Clinic ( Dental Hospital )
- J.K. Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Rahman Clinic (Respiratory Clinic)
- Punnagai dental clinic(dental hospital)
- Dr.Faizal Clinic
- Majeeth Dental Clinic
- Jude Hospital Kurichi
- New Crescent Hospital
- Al-Noor Clinic (Best Child Health Care)
many other small clinic were also added in course of time.
The people are less educated about the cleanliness and more often they go ill. A recent issue was that an unidentified virus hits the town with people getting fever with their limbs malfunctioned for a period of time. This is due to the improper disposal of the beedi leaves garbage which is thrown on the streets and roads. During rainy seasons, water gets stagnant on these garbage and cause for the viral growths.
Nowadays the awareness on health issues are made by socials organizations in the locality which reduced the health issues on melapalayam.
Melapalayam is famous for Cattle market. It is said to be the second largest cattle market in Tamil Nadu next to Devakottai. The market will be active only on Tuesday. Cow, ox, goat and dried fish market are available in the same place. Merchants from various parts of the state will accumulate on Monday night and the trading starts right from midnight. A government administered butchering center also established in this cattle market
Besides this, fish and vegetable markets are available in Melapalayam Bazaar. Uzhavar Santhai (Direct Selling Point of Farmers) also opened opposite to Melapalayam Municipal Office.
- Canara Bank.
- Bank of Baroda.
- Union Bank of India.
- Indian Overseas Bank.
- Melapalayam Primary Agricultural Co-operative Bank.
- Pandiyan Grama Bank
- Thiruvalluvar Co operative Bank
Many awareness societies are being formed for the welfare of the people of Melapalayam. Education is the only social change made in this town.
List of Social Forums
- Minorities Education and Enlightenment Forum (MEEF)
- Melapalayam Health and Education Trust (MHET)
- Social Awareness Service Organisation (SASO)
- Melapalayam Progressive Forum (MPMPROF)
- Speed Blood Service (SBS)
- Melapalayam Health Service (MHS)
- Melapalayam Medical Society (MMS)
Melapalayam police station is most active among Tiruneveli city police stations due to its higher rate of religious issues.
There is no Government organised sports club in the city. Only minority welfare organisations had started games association with which games like Cricket, Carrom, Volley Ball and Football are made predominant. At present there is no dedicated stadium for any games. Only school grounds are being used by games association of the city.
For every year at the time of pongal flood cricket match was conducted around cricket team of this city. It is one of the major event of this city,Melapalayam
Before there was a cinema theater named Kannagi Theater in old days, which was renamed to Alangar after change of the owner. As of now, there is no cinema theater in the city.
Melapalayam is a part of Palayamkottai Legislative Assembly Constituency.
Apart from state level parties Like ADMK,DMK,DMDK,MDMK, Muslim Political Organizations like TMMK,MMK,SDPI have strong hold in Melapalayam.
- "PinCode: Melapalayam". PINcode.org.in. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- http://expressbuzz.com › States › Tamil Nadu