Location in Campbell County and the state of Kentucky.
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||502 ft (153 m)|
|• Density||507/sq mi (195.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0498043|
Melbourne is a 6th-class city in Campbell County, Kentucky, United States, along the south bank of the Ohio River. The population was 401 at the 2010 census. St. Anne Convent is located in Melbourne; scenes from the movie Rain Man were filmed there.
Melbourne is located in northeastern Campbell County at  It is bordered by the city of Silver Grove to the west. To the north, across the Ohio River, is the unincorporated community of Coldstream, Ohio.(39.031571, −84.368600).
Kentucky Route 8 passes through Melbourne, following the Ohio River 9 miles (14 km) northwest (downstream) to Dayton and 31 miles (50 km) southeast to Augusta. Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, is 11 miles (18 km) to the northwest via Interstate 471.
As of the census of 2000, there were 457 people, 150 households, and 115 families residing in the city. The population density was 507.9 people per square mile (196.1/km²). There were 160 housing units at an average density of 177.8 per square mile (68.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.78% White, and 0.22% from two or more races.
There were 150 households out of which 27.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.7% were married couples living together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the city the population was spread out with 16.8% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 23.0% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 24.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 80.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $51,458, and the median income for a family was $56,250. Males had a median income of $40,833 versus $36,563 for females. The per capita income for the city was $23,324. About 3.5% of families and 15.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 38.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State. Land Office. "Melbourne, Kentucky". Accessed 26 August 2013.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Melbourne city, Kentucky". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Historical images and texts from Melbourne, Campbell County, Kentucky
- St. Philips Catholic Church, Melbourne, Ky.