Melbourne Central Catholic High School
|Melbourne Central Catholic High School|
100 East Florida Avenue|
Melbourne, (Brevard County), Florida 32901
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Michael C. Burke|
|Principal||Ernest D Herrington Jr|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Stingers Dance, Swimming, Track & Field and Volleyball (girls).|
|Accreditation||AdvanceED Accreditation Commission (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation of School Improvement)|
|Affiliation||Diocese of Orlando|
Melbourne Central Catholic (MCC) is an American private, Roman Catholic, coed college-preparatory school high school located in Melbourne, in Brevard County, Florida. It was a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 1991. MCC has had 100% of their graduates accepted into college and 85 percent on average have received Bright Futures Florida scholarships. The school offers extracurricular activities including academic competitions, special-interest clubs, performing arts, and athletics.
There are 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses. More than half the students are taking AP courses. SAT mean scores average 1066 (Florida average is 990). ACT mean scores average 23; Florida mean score is less than 20.
In 2004, the school built a 12,000 sq ft (1,100 m2), Science and Math Building at a cost of $10 million. In 2006, the school installed an artificial turf football field with a brand new stadium, a new baseball stadium, a new softball stadium and practice fields. In 2008, the school built an 8-lane rubberized track.
- State Science Fair Annual Winners, State Winner 2003
- State Student Council of the Year 1998, 1999, 2000
- Odyssey of the Mind State Champion 1998, 2001
- Qualified for World Competition 2001
- Boys Soccer Coach of the Year 1998 and 2008 (3-A)
- St. Leo College Brain Bowl Champions, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- FIT Business Ethics Competition Finalists 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003
- FIT Business Ethics Competition Winner 2001
- Blue Ribbon School of Excellence 1991.
- Senator Thad Altman, Florida State Senator
- Melissa Witek, '99, Miss Florida USA 2005 and contestant on NBC's Treasure Hunters
- Kate Chastain, Private Jet & Yachting Chief Steward; Published Author; Below Deck Television Show Personality
MCC became part of legal history when a student who was ineligible to play football due to a recruiting violation filed a suit to be reinstated. The Athletic Association (FHSAA) demurred and took the case to the District Court in Florida High School Athletic Association v. Melbourne Central Catholic(Fla.App. 5 Dist.,), No. 5D03-3437, March 26, 2004. The court ruled that a student must first exhaust his administrative remedies, i.e. with the Athletic Association, before filing suit to be reinstated.
In 2010, all 109 graduates were accepted into college. They had earned $4.2 million in scholarships.
- Dodson, Laura (August 6–19, 2010). "Melbourne Central Catholic: Fertile ground for growth". Orlando, Florida: Florida Catholic. pp. A15.
- Secondary School Blue Ribbon School Awardees - National Catholic Educational Association
- Melbourne Central Catholic High School - Florida Archived 2007-06-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- Melbourne Central Catholic High School - Florida Archived 2008-12-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ask Sister Angie Archived 2006-08-29 at the Wayback Machine.