Melbourne tram route 19
|North Coburg - City (Elizabeth St)|
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|End||Melbourne CBD (Elizabeth St)|
|Length||10.2 km (6.3 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Zone 1 for the entire route|
|Annual patronage||11.4 million|
|Timetable||Route 19 timetable|
|Map||Route 19 map|
Tram route 19 is a public transport service in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It runs from Flinders Street in the city centre to North Coburg in the northern suburbs. It runs through the suburbs of Melbourne, Parkville, Brunswick, Coburg, and Coburg North. Like most tram routes in Melbourne, it is entirely within myki ticketing Zone 1.
As this tram route is one of the most patronised in Melbourne, the VicRoads Think>Tram initiative was instated along this route to help increase ontime running. Yellow dividers are now bolted along Royal Parade forming a tram lane on road space which was previously shared by cars. Further Think Tram initiatives included signage improvements along the route and right-turn bans and turn priorities along Sydney Road. The route is operated by B2 class trams.
This route is especially busy during University semester times, serving the western side of Melbourne University and the Parkville (Pharmacy) campus of Monash University, while the route also passes through one of the most diverse areas in Melbourne, with Lebanese, Greek, Italian and some Asian restaurants and shops along Sydney Road.
An extension to Fawkner was first planned by the The Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Trust in 1916, but never came to fruition. This extension has been brought up since, most recently by the Victorian Greens during the 2010 state election.
There are 40 stops on route 19.
Starts at intersection of Flinders and Elizabeth Streets, opposite Flinders Street Station (stop 1 - interchange), then runs via:
- Elizabeth Street (stops 1 - 9)
- Collins Street, tram routes 11, 12, 48 and 109 (stop 2)
- Bourke Street, GPO, tram routes 86 and 96 (stop 3)
- Lonsdale Street, St Francis' Church (stop 4)
- La Trobe Street, Melbourne Central shopping centre and railway station, tram routes 30 and City Circle (stop 5)
- Victoria Street, Queen Victoria Market, tram route 57 (stop 7 - platform stop)
- Haymarket Roundabout (Peel Street), tram routes 55 and 59 (stop 9)
- Royal Parade (stops 10 - 19)
- Sydney Road (stops 20-40)
Ends at Sydney Road, North Coburg (stop 40 - platform stop).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne tram route 19.|