Melbourne tram route 79
|North Richmond – St Kilda Beach|
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|Ended service||27 July 2014|
|End||St Kilda Beach|
|Length||7.5 km (4.7 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Myki Zone 1|
|Timetable||Route 79 timetable|
|Map||Route 79 map|
Melbourne tram route 79 was operated by Yarra Trams on the Melbourne tram network. It operated from North Richmond to St Kilda Beach via South Yarra, Prahran, Windsor and Balaclava. The 7.5 kilometre route was operated by Z and A class trams from Glenhuntly depot.
On 30 September 1991 Z-class trams began operating on the route. On 2 April 1995 operation of the route was transferred from Kew depot to Glenhuntly and W-class trams resumed operating the route.
Before 20 July 2009 route 79 North Richmond to St Kilda Beach operated Monday to Friday from 18:15, Saturdays from 13:10, and all day Sundays and public holidays. It was then altered to operate after 19:00 each night. The route was discontinued on 27 July 2014 and replaced by a full-time route 78 service.
- Facts & figures Yarra Trams
- "Melbourne News" Trolley Wire issue 247 November 1991 page 22
- "Melbourne Trams" Trolley Wire issue 261 May 1995 page 17
- New tram timetables deliver more services Yarra Trams 10 July 2009
- History of Melbourne Trams Routes from 1950 to 2009 Yarra Trams
- "Capacity boost for tram passengers". Yarra Trams. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.