Melbourne tram route 8
|Moreland - Toorak|
|Ended service||30 April 2017|
Melbourne CBD (Swanston St)
|Length||15.7 km (9.8 mi)|
|Journey time||55-70 minutes|
|Zone(s)||Free Zone: Stops 8-13|
Myki Zone 1: Stops 133-111, 1-7, 14-43
|Annual patronage||9.1 million|
|Timetable||Route 8 timetable|
|Map||Route 8 map|
Melbourne tram route 8 was operated by Yarra Trams on the Melbourne tram network. It operated from Moreland to Toorak. The route was operated by Z, B and D class trams from Brunswick and Malvern depots. The service ceased on 30 April 2017 to accommodate Metro Tunnel works.
In October 2016, it was announced that as part of works associated with the construction of Domain railway station, route 8 would cease on 30 April 2017. The southern portion was replaced by extending route 55 from Domain Interchange to Toorak as route 58, while the northern section was replaced by extending route 6 from Melbourne University to Moreland.
|Some trams are wheelchair accessible. Free Tram Zone covers stops 8 to 13. Fare zone 1 applies from stop 133 to 7, and 14 to 42.|
|^Malvern Depot services extend to the depot via route 16.|
Expand to show intermediate stops. Route map is not to scale.
- "Say hello to Route 58". Public Transport Victoria. Archived from the original on 30 April 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- From Toorak to Moreland on Route 8 Yarra Trams 13 October 2004
- New improved routes for Melbourne's tram network Yarra Trams October 2004
- "Route changes in Melbourne" Trolley Wire issue 299 December 2004 page 16
- History of Melbourne Trams Routes from 1950 to 2009 Yarra Trams
- Councillors slam proposal for new Toorak Rd terminus Herald Sun 19 February 2015
- Route 8 Toorak Rd tram terminus gets $3.8m upgrade Stonnington Leader 9 December 2015
- Metro Tunnel to Transform Melbourne's Tram Network Minister for Public Transport 25 October 2016
- Trams to head west, route 58 to be born in network overhaul next year The Age 25 October 2016
- Route 8 Yarra Trams