Melendi at a disc signing in Madrid
|Birth name||Ramón Melendi Espina|
|Also known as||Melendi|
January 21, 1979 |
|Genres||Pop, rumba, pop-rock|
|Labels||Carlito Records, EMI|
He was born on January 21, 1979, in Oviedo, Asturias. He went to class with Formula One race car driver Fernando Alonso, to whom he dedicated the song "Magic Alonso". He also did racing for a while but he realized very quickly that he was not made for racing nor studying, but he was good at football. He played in the lower ranks of Astur CF, at the time a reserve team for Real Oviedo. Afterwards, he worked as a waiter in several bars and spent all night out, living experiences that would later go on to make up the lyrics of his songs. In 2001, he joined a group called "El bosque de Sherwood", and soon after recorded a demo with only three songs, "Sin noticias de Holanda", "El informe del forense", and "Vuelvo a traficar".
In February 2003, Melendi released his first solo disc called "Sin noticias de Holanda", with twelve songs. In December 2003, this disc was rereleased with two new songs, "Asturias" and "Moratalá". However, he reached true fame with the 2004 Vuelta a España chose his song "Con la luna llena" as its official theme. In May 2004, he started a small tour around Spain, selling 50,000 copies of his CD, making it a Gold Album.
In 2005, he released his second solo CD, "Que el cielo espere sentao", which has sold more than 200,000 copies. Later that same year, he rereleased the album with three new songs, "El Nano", "La dama, and "El vagabundo y Carlota", and a Live concert DVD recorded in Oviedo. He also became a father that year, and received the Onda award for Best Song of the Year for "Caminando por la vida".
In November 2005, he received seven Platinum Discs for his two albums. "Sin noticias..." received four and "Que el cielo..." three.
In 2006, it was announced that he would be one of the main stars in the PSP game "Gangs of London". Melendi played Mr. Big, an evil gangster. He also wrote the song "Gangs of London" for the occasion, going on to film a video amidst police lights and sirens. The videogame was launched on August 1 of that year in the UK and on September 6 in Spain; EMI stepped in to distribute his CDs worldwide.
He also wrote the song "Volveremos" (We Shall Return) for Real Oviedo. The singer is also involved in the production of the film "Vuelvo a traficar: The Film" (I'm Dealing Again).
"Mientras no cueste trabajo" was released on November 13, 2006, in two formats: a normal CD with 12 songs, and a special edition, with 16 songs and a DVD with extras. The disc was rereleased on October 29, 2009, with four new songs, "Firmes", "El rey de la baraja", "La aceituna", and "Me gusta el fútbol".
In 2007, he received the "Best Tour" award from the "Premios de la Música" ceremony held in Cordoba. He also did an advertising campaign for Canal+ Spain entitled "Me gusta el fútbol" (I Like Football), for which he wrote a song of the same name.
In 2007, he stood trial for provoking an incident while under the influence of alcohol on a flight from Madrid to Mexico City that required the pilot to return to Madrid two hours after takeoff. He was released after testifying. Soon after, he was given the "Left Foot" award from Spanish radio station Cadena 100 for this incident.
Currently, Melendi directs his Blue Donkey Music company, helping young singers start their careers. He's offered contracts to four groups, Algunos Hombres Buenos, Rasel, La Dama y Belo, and Los Susodichos. This last group was nominated for a Latin Grammy for Best Rock Vocals. Algunos Hombres Buenos left the label in 2008.
On August 9, 2008, he presented his new single, "Un violinista en tu tejado" from his album Curiosa la cara de tu padre on Spanish radio station Los 40 Principales. The album was released on September 16, 2008. On December 12, Los 40 Principales awarded him their award for this album.
On December 17, 2009, he released a new double CD, Aún más curiosa la cara de tu padre, including the original disc and another with nine new songs and links to exclusive content on his website.
On February 23, 2012, he released a new album called Lágrimas desordenadas and went on a tour of Spain and Latin America later that same year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his first solo album.
His latest album, Un alumno más was released on November 25, 2014. Over the four months before the album was released, two songs from the album were released as lyrics videos, one was released as a single (Tocado y hundido), and one was released in an acoustic version.
|Title||Album details||Peak position
|Sin noticias de Holanda||
|Que el cielo espere sentao||
|Mientras no cueste trabajo||
|Curiosa la cara de tu padre||
|Volvamos a empezar||
|Un alumno más||
|Directo a septiembre||
|Quítate las gafas||
|Title||Album details||Peak position
|Aún más curiosa la cara de tu padre||
|2003||"Mi rumbita pa tus pies"||*||Sin noticias de Holanda|
|"Desde mi ventana"|
|"Sé lo que hicisteis"|
|2004||"Con la luna llena"|
|"Hablando en plata"|
|2005||"Caminando por la vida"||Que el cielo espere sentao|
|"Con sólo una sonrisa"|
|2006||"Novia a la fuga"||—|
|"Kisiera yo saber"||17||Mientras no cueste trabajo|
|2007||"Calle la Pantomima"||—|
|"Por amarte tanto"||—|
|2008||"Un violinista en tu tejado"||1||Curiosa la cara de tu padre|
|2009||"Piratas del Bar Caribe"||33|
|2010||"Como una vela"||13||Aún más curiosa la cara de tu padre|
|"Barbie de extrarradio"||10||Volvamos a empezar|
|2011||"Canción de amor caducada"||10|
|2012||"Cuestión de Príoridades por el Cuerno de África"||36||Charity single|
|"Lágrimas desordenadas"||3||Lágrimas desordenadas|
|2013||"Tu jardín con enanitos"||10|
|"Cheque al portamor"||36|
|"Tocado y hundido"||4||Un alumno más|
|2015||"Más allá de nuestros recuerdos (Hit la cancíon)"||19||Non-album single|
|"La promesa"||21||Un alumno más|
|2016||"Desde que estamos juntos"||5||Quítate las gafas|
|"Soy tu superhéroe"||28|
|"La casa no es igual"||41|
- No reliable data before 2006.
- José Avilés Bas: «Volveremos Real Oviedo» (2013)
- Los Chunguitos: «Con la luna llena» (2004).
- Pablo Moro: «María» (2005).
- Algunos Hombres Buenos: «Salta» (2006).
- Seguridad Social: «Quiero tener tu presencia» (live, unedited).
- Belo: «Al gallo que me cante» (live, unedited).
- Un tributo a Brasil: «Adiós tristeza».
- Rasel «Mil razas» (2007).
- Guaraná: «De lao a lao» (2008).
- Pignoise: «Estoy enfermo» (2009).
- Fernando Tejero: «So payaso» (2010).
- Porretas: «Dos pulgas en un perro» (2011).
- Juanes: «Me enamora» (2011; live, unedited).
- Mojinos Escozíos y Ariel Rot: «Al carajo» (2011).
- Pablo Motos: «Marco» (2011).
- Malú: El apagón (2011) (live, unedited).
- Leonel García: «Para empezar» (2011; live, unedited).
- Pablo Alborán, Dani Martín, Malú, Carlos Baute, Rasel y La Dama: «Cuestión de prioridades por el cuerno de África» (2012).
- Malú: «Amigo» (2012).
- Lolita Flores: «Arriba los corazones», by Antonio Flores (live, unedited).
- Malú: «Con solo una sonrisa» (live, unedited).
- La Dama: «Corazón de peón» (live, unedited).
- Rasel: «Por qué» (2013).
- La Dama: «Estrella fugaz» (2014).
- Margarett: «Por ti» (2014).
- Laura Pausini: «Entre tú y mil mares» (2014).
- Melendi, detenido por alterar el orden público en pleno vuelo Madrid-México
- Melendi pide disculpas públicamente por el altercado
- El disc de la Marató de TV3 – Televisió de Catalunya
- "Melendi in spanishcharts.com". spanishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "TOP 100 ALBUMES — SEMANA 46: del 11.11.2016 al 17.11.2016" (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved November 24, 2016.