|City and Commune|
|• Alcalde||Mario Gebauer Bringas (PPD)|
|• Total||1,344.8 km2 (519.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||174 m (571 ft)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Website||Municipality of Melipilla|
Melipilla (Mapudungun for "four Pillans") is a Chilean commune and capital city of the province of the same name, located in the Santiago Metropolitan Region southwest of the nation's capital. The commune spans an area of 1,344.8 km2 (519 sq mi).
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Melipilla spans an area of 1,355.8 km2 (523 sq mi) and has 94,540 inhabitants (47,603 men and 46,937 women). Of these, 60,898 (64.4%) lived in urban areas and 33,642 (35.6%) in rural areas. The population grew by 17.8% (14,285 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
As a commune, Melipilla is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Mario Gebauer Bringas (PPD). The council has the following members:
- Darío Jerez Jerez (PPD)
- Pedro Martínez Romo (PS)
- Carla Meza Carrasco (IND)
- Javier Ramirez Gonzalez (UDI)
- Juan González Alarcón (PDC)
- Fernando Pérez Aguirre (IND)
- Ramon Mallea Santibáñez (PDC)
- Alexander Henríquez Armijo (RN)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Melipilla is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Denise Pascal (PS) and Gonzalo Uriarte (UDI) as part of the 31st electoral district, (together with Talagante, Peñaflor, El Monte, Isla de Maipo, María Pinto, Curacaví, Alhué, San Pedro and Padre Hurtado). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of Melipilla" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- (Spanish) Municipality of Melipilla