|Full name||Melissa Mojica Rosario|
December 29, 1983 |
Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||265 lb (120 kg)|
Early and personal life
She was born in Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico, on December 29, 1983. She is 120.2 kilograms (265 lb). Her parents are Carmelo Mojica and Julia Rosario, and she has two sisters: Melani and Julisa. Mojica went to the Medardo Carazo High School and studied Biology at University of Turabo.
Mojica won the bronze medal in both, the open and the over 78 kg division of the 2006 Central American and Caribbean Games. She won the gold medal in the 2008 Pan American Judo Championships in Miami.
Mojica won in May 2012, the silver medal at the Moscow Grand Slam, after being defeated by the Brazilian Maria Suelen Altheman who won her category gold medal. At the 2012 Summer Olympics, she defeated the Saudi teenager Wojdan Shaherkani, who competed with a special hijab, in only 82 seconds. After the combat Mojica claimed that she does not care about religious issues, but every woman should have the opportunity to compete at the Olympics. She then lost to Russian Elena Ivashchenko by Ippon in the second round, ending her participation in the +78 kg category at London, United Kingdom.
|2005||Pan American Judo Championships||2nd||Openweight|
|2006||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2006||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Openweight|
|2007||Pan American Judo Championships||2nd||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2007||Pan American Judo Championships||5th||Openweight|
|2007||Pan American Games||5th||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2007||World Judo Championships||AC||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2008||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2008||Pan American Judo Championships||1st||Openweight|
|2009||World Judo Championships||AC||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2010||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
|2010||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Openweight|
|2011||Pan American Judo Championships||3rd||Heavyweight (+78 kg)|
- Holsum (2010). "Melissa Mojica Rosario, Judo" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Melissa Mojica". COPUR. 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Cartagena: Dominicana y Venezuela sacan oro". Terra (in Spanish). Cartagena, Colombia. AP. 2006-07-29. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- colombia.com (2006-07-26). "Judo: Cuba ganó cuatro medallas de oro y se afianza" (in Spanish). EFE. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- "Sendas preseas de oro en Miami". El Nuevo Dia (in Spanish). 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- "Sendas Cuba alza el oro y Puerto Rico la plata en los 78 kilos femenino de judo". Terra (in Spanish). EFE. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Rosário, Myrian (2012-05-28). "Maria Suelen Altheman comemora título e revanche contra Porto-Riquenha no Grand Slam de Moscou". Judo Paulista (in Portuguese). MR Comunicação. Retrieved 2012-08-21.
- Associated Press (3 August 2012). "London 2012: Saudi Arabia's 1st female judo athlete loses bout in 82 seconds". Toronto Star.
- Waldie, Paul (2012-08-03). "Saudi judoka makes historic Olympic appearance". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Resultados de la final de la categoría de +78 kg mujeres de judo". Terra (in Spanish). AFP. 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2012-08-21.