This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification, as its only attribution is to self-published sources; articles should not be based solely on such sources. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Melissa Amber Schuman|
|Genres||R&B, Pop, dance|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, dancer, actress|
|Labels||Bad Boy/Universal (1998-2003)|
|Associated acts||Dream, Lady Phoenix|
Melissa Amber Schuman is an American singer and actress. Schuman is best known for her role in the all-girl teen band Dream. Dream had two platinum hits, "He Loves U Not" and "This is Me". Schuman has also gained some success in acting with appearances in such movies as Love Don't Cost a Thing, The Hollow and Silent Scream. Schuman has also appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and has hosted TRL. In November 2010, the song "Don't" that was supposed to be the debut single for her unreleased solo album was released on iTunes.
In 2002, after Schuman announced she was leaving Dream to focus on her acting career and a solo album she appeared in Love Don't Cost a Thing and The Hollow, and starred in Silent Scream. She recorded a song with The Hollow costar Nick Carter called "There For Me" in 2004. Schuman had plans to release her first single "Don't" but the single and solo album were later scrapped. As of November 16, 2010, the unreleased single "Don't" was released to iTunes. On November 15, 2010, Schuman's unreleased solo album Stereotyped was released to iTunes.
2008–2012: Lady Phoenix
On January 28, 2008, Schuman reported that she would be forming a new music group with former Dream bandmate Ashley Poole, and would be auditioning for girls and even starring in a reality show to detail the new group's formation. In 2012, Schuman confirmed that Lady Phoenix had disbanded following Ashley Poole's departure from the group and the reality show was not picked up by any networks.
2015–2016: Dream comeback
On May 11, 2015, the original members of Dream got together for a mini-reunion and posted a video online performing a cappella version of their 2000 single "He Loves U Not" and the video quickly went viral with over 23,000 views and gained online attention from MTV, Seventeen Magazine, Perez Hilton and other media sites. On May 29, 2015, the original members of Dream all announced they would be making a comeback and launched a Twitter and Facebook page. The Twitter page gained over 21,000 followers since its launch. On December 17, 2015, Dream recorded and released a studio recording of "O Holy Night" as a treat to fans for the holidays whilst they work on new music scheduled for 2016.
On July 8, 2016, Dream joined other Y2K bands O-Town, Ryan Cabrera and 98 Degrees on the My2K Tour performing in 39 cities across the United States. Dream also performed at The MixTape Festival at Hershey Stadium alongside Paula Abdul, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, 98 Degrees, O-Town and Ryan Cabrera.
On August 2, 2016, Dream released their first single together in 15 years titled "I Believe" on iTunes and Spotify.
Schuman married dancer Brandon Henschel on June 7, 2006, at the Prado at Balboa Park in San Diego, California. The couple spent their honeymoon in Hawaii. On February 19, 2010 Schuman announced, on Twitter, that she and her husband were expecting their first child, a boy. On July 18, 2010, the Henschels announced the birth of their baby boy, Elin Elijah Henschel.
On November 21, 2017, amidst a wave of sexual misconduct allegations against prominent male celebrities, Schuman claimed that she was raped by singer Nick Carter in 2002, an accusation Carter has denied. She claimed that Carter invited her to his apartment and performed oral sex before raping her when she refused to reciprocate.
- Stereotyped (2002/2010)
- It Was All a Dream (2001)
|2003||Love Don't Cost a Thing||Zoe Parks|
|Recipe for Disaster||Shannon Devries|
|2015||Actress(es): A Web Series||Jennifer Stone|
- Schuman, Melissa (2008-01-28). "The Official Melissa Schuman Website". News. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
After a failed attempt to get DREAM back together within the last few months, Ashley Poole and I are searching for new talent to start fresh with a new group, new sound, and new friendships. We are also looking forward to an upcoming reality show which will follow us on this new journey together. Since this will be a new group, we need a new name, so we would love to hear anybody's thoughts on what we should call our band.
- Actress(es)- A Web Series (11 May 2015). "Dream-He Loves U Not LIVE 2015 unfiltered" – via YouTube.
- Actress(es)- A Web Series (11 May 2015). "Dream-This is Me LIVE 2015" – via YouTube.
- DreamFans [@DreamFanGroup] (29 May 2015). "We've heard our fans' cry out for a comeback! It's happening #dreamrevival #dream #helovesunot #dreamunplugged @mtvpop @VH1 @PerezHilton" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Dream". www.facebook.com.
- Ashley Poole – This is for all my beautiful & loyal fans. Facebook (October 5, 2016). Retrieved on 2016-12-09.
- "The Official Melissa Schuman Website". News. 2006-06-08. Archived from the original on 2008-05-26. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- MelissaSchuman [@MelissaSchuman] (20 February 2010). "I would like announce that we will be adding a 4th member to @LPhoenixMusic and it's gonna be a boy because im 5 months pregnant! Surprise!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Nick Carter Accused of Raping Dream Singer Melissa Schuman".
- "Nick Carter Accused of Rape by Former Pop Singer Melissa Schuman; Backstreet Boy 'Shocked and Saddened' by Allegations".
- "Backstreet Boy Carter denies rape claim". BBC News. 2017-11-23. Retrieved 2017-11-23.