|Born||1960 (age 56–57)
Little Rock, Arkansas
|Occupation||Novelist, short story writer|
|Genre||fantasy, science fiction, genre fiction|
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.
Scott's work is known for elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, critic Phyllis Betz notes that the characters' genders or orientations are rarely a major focus of Scott's stories. Shadow Man, alone among Scott's works, focuses explicitly on issues of sexuality and gender.
- The Game Beyond, 1984
- The Silence Leigh trilogy
- Five-Twelfths of Heaven, 1985
- Silence in Solitude, 1986
- The Empress of Earth, 1987
- A Choice of Destinies, 1986
- The Kindly Ones, 1987
- The Armor of Light, with Lisa A. Barnett, 1988
- Mighty Good Road, 1990
- Dreamships, 1992
- Burning Bright, 1993
- Trouble and Her Friends, 1994
- Shadow Man, 1996
- Dreaming Metal, 1997, a continuation from Dreamships
- Night Sky Mine, 1997
- The Shapes of Their Hearts, 1998
- The Jazz, 2000
- The Order of the Air
- Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey
- Death by Silver, with Amy Griswold, 2013
- A Death at the Dionysus Club, with Amy Griswold, 2014
- Novels based in the Star Trek universe
- Novels based in the Stargate Atlantis universe
- Homecoming, with Jo Graham, 2010 (book 1 of the Legacy series)
- Allegiance, with Amy Griswold, 2011 (book 3 of the Legacy Series)
- Secrets, with Jo Graham, 2012 (book 5 of the Legacy Series)
- The Inheritors, with Jo Graham, 2013 (book 6 of the Legacy Series)
- Third Path, 2015 (book 8 of the Legacy Series)
- Novels based in the Stargate SG-1 universe
- Moebius Squared, with Jo Graham, 2012
- Ouroboros, 2013
- Conceiving the Heavens: Creating the Science Fiction Novel (1997)
- Betz, Phyllis M. (2011). The lesbian fantastic : a critical study of science fiction, fantasy, paranormal and gothic writings. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. p. 24. ISBN 0786458852.
- PointsMan.net Archived July 11, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Melissa Scott, Conceiving the Heavens: Creating the Science Fiction Novel (1997).
- McCartin, Jeanné (2007-05-20), "A new page in sci-fi writer's life", SeacoastOnline.com, retrieved 2007-09-03.