Location in the district
|• Mayor||Tobias Bischofberger|
|• Total||40.55 km2 (15.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||688 m (2,257 ft)|
|• Density||32/km2 (83/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Mellau covers an area of 40.55 km². It lies in the west of the country and is part of the Bregenz Forest. Mellau lies at the foot of the Kanisfluh mountain which is considered to be Bregenz Forest's landmark.
From 1805 to 1814 Mellau belonged to Bavaria but then again to Austria. After the Second World War the municipality was in the French zone of occupation for 10 years. In 1870 there was a great fire in Mellau. The church, the school, the rectory and 18 other houses were razed.
The municipality has about 1300 inhabitants.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms was designed by Hubert Dietrich, a well-known artist, in 1962. It shows an uprooted fir tree which symbolises the affiliation to the Bregenz Forest and three crosses which remind the population of the plague.
Thanks to the merging of the two ski areas of Damüls and Mellau in 2010, the largest ski area in the Bregenz Forest and one of the largest ski regions in the state of Vorarlberg was created: Ski area Damüls-Mellau.
In the summer and autumn of 2015, the Mellaubahn was rebuilt as a replacement for the old cable car from 1972 in the form of a monocable on the same route. After investing around 20 million euros, the new 10-passenger gondola lift was put into operation on 4 December 2015.
Mellau is part of the "Bregenzerwald Umgang" (literally: "Bregenz forest walk"). The walk shows the design of 12 villages in the Bregenz Forest. By means of the landscape, public buildings, houses and everyday objects, walkers are invited to experience the typical Bregenzerwälder architecture style through the ages.
- Norbert Bischofberger (born 1954), scientist, developer of influenza therapeutics Tamiflu
- Hubert Dietrich (1930-2006), painter and painting restorer
- Hermann Rützler (1883-1960), photographer and author
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- holstuonarmusigbigbandclub. "Vo Mello bis ge Schoppornou". holstuonarmusigbigbandclub (in German). Retrieved 2018-08-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mellau.|
|This Vorarlberg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|