Early life and background
Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, McDaniel graduated in 1992 from Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA with a major in Photography and a minor in Fine Art. She studied photography and was inspired to pursue documentary photography after traveling throughout Europe and Israel.
McDaniel's first professional job was album artwork for Suzanne Vega, which received critical praise and led to further work with such musical artists as Smashing Pumpkins, Mazzy Star, Cat Power, Pharrell Williams, and Lily Allen. She went on to direct music videos, including clips for Annie Lennox, Blonde Redhead, Patti Smith, Tori Amos (God, 1994) and Madonna (Secret, 1994). By 1995, she had shot celebrities like for Samuel L. Jackson, Madeline Stowe, Harvey Keitel, Sheryl Crow and David Bowie for publications like Us, Interview, Rolling Stones and New York Times Magazine.
Over the years, McDaniel has shot editorially for Nylon Magazine, Giant Magazine, Elle, Vogue, Spin Magazine, Dazed & Confused, Interview, 10 Magazine, Jane Magazine, Details and Lula Magazine. Apart from brands like Nike, GAP, and Levi’s.
- "Melodie McDaniel photography". Lifelounge. 23 Mar 2011. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Vibe Media Group (September 1993). Vibe. Vibe Media Group. pp. 19–. ISSN 1070-4701.
- Melodie McDaniel's Biography
- "Alumni Profiles: Melodie McDaniel". Art Center College of Design. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- McDaniel: 20-ish does Hollywood Her Way. 6. American Photo. 1995. pp. 26–27. ISSN 1046-8986.
- Melodie McDaniel at New York Models Blog
- Melodie McDaniel's Photographs of Lily Allen