Melville Y. Stewart
Stewart has a B.A. from Gordon College, (Wenham, Massachusetts), an M. Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary, (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), an S.T.M. from Andover Newton Theological School, (Newton Centre, Massachusetts), an M.A. from the University of Connecticut, (Storrs, Connecticut), a Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota, (Minneapolis, Minnesota) and he did Postdoctoral work at Oxford University, (Oxford, England) in 1986.
Stewart's main areas of interest are philosophy of religion, science and religion, and Chinese philosophy. He taught at Bethel University from 1972 to 1999, and chaired the department from 1985 to 1992. He received the Excellence in Scholarship Award in 1996, and in 1999 became Emeritus Professor of Philosophy. From 2000 to 2003 he served as Adjunct Professor at the University of St. Thomas. Outside the U.S. he taught a year in the Department of Philosophy at Saint Petersburg State University from 1992 to 1993, and was Adjunct Professor at St. Petersburg Christian College during the spring term of 2003. He has taught 13 terms at various Universities in China between 1996 and 2013.
Stewart has read papers at 43 universities outside the U.S. including 19 in China, 8 in Russia, and at Vilnius University, Latvian Academy of Science, University of Minsk, University of Edinburgh, Tokyo Christian University, University of Hong Kong, Oxford University, and the University of London. His most recent Science and Religion Series held at five universities in China: Wuhan University, Fudan University, Shandong University, Peking University, and Tsinghua University, led to a multi-volume work in three editions: an English 2-volume edition, "Science and Religion in Dialogue" published by Wiley-Blackwell of Oxford, a 5-volume Chinese edition,《科学与宗教的对话》("Science and Religion in Dialogue"), published by Peking University Press, Beijing (Volumes I, III, IV and V) and Fudan University Press (Volume II), and a 4-volume Russian edition, edited by Stewart and Natalia Pechereskaya.
In the US Stewart gave a public lecture at Texas A&M University on "Confucianism and Christianity," and read a paper at the Confucius Institute Academic Symposium, "Elements of Ancient Chinese Monotheism and the Ancient Hebrew Tradition," April, 2009. He also presented a paper, "Ancient Chinese, Hebrew and Christian Monotheism", at the Evangelical Philosophical Society in 2013, and "The Ethic of Love in Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity" at the Evangelical Philosophical Society in 2014.
In 2010, he team-taught a Seminar at Peking University, taught a course "Philosophy of Religion" at Beijing Normal University, and taught another course, "Philosophy of Mind" at Beijing University of Chemical Technology. He also presented a paper, "Ancient Chinese, Hebrew and Christian Monotheism" at the First Nishan Forum, September 26,27, 2010, Qufu/Jining, China. In 2011, he taught a theological module at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary in Novosaratovka, Russia. In 2012, he gave lecture series at Beijing Normal University in Beijing, Tsinghua University in Beijing, and Shandong University in Jinan. He also presented a paper, "The Ethic of Love in Ancient Judaism and Early Christianity", at the Second Nishan Forum, May 21-23, 2012,Qufu/Jining, China. In 2013, he gave a lecture series at Bejing Normal University and Tsinghua University in Beijing. In 2014, he presented papers at Tsinghua University in Beijing, and conducted a Workshop at Beijing Normal University.
- The Greater-Good Defence, An Essay on the Rationality of Faith, author, London:Macmillan//New York: St. Martin's, 1993. ISBN 0-312-08095-6.
- Проблемы Христианской Философии (Problems in Christian Philosophy), co-editor with Dan Clendenin, Moscow: Progress Academy Press, 1994. ISBN 5-85864-071-0.
- Philosophy of Religion, An Anthology of Contemporary Views, editor, in the Jones and Bartlett Series in Philosophy, second printing, Wadsworth Press, 1996. ISBN 0-86720-512-1.
- 《当代西方宗教哲学》, (Philosophy of Religion, An Anthology of Contemporary Views), Melville Y. Stewart, editor, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2001, ISBN 7-301-04731-2.
- 《东西方宗教伦理及其他》(East & West Religious Ethics and Other Essays), co-editor with Zhang Zhigang, Beijing: Central Compilation and Translation Press, 1997. ISBN 7-80109-198-1/B 10.
- The Symposium of Chinese-American Philosophy and Religious Studies: Volume 1, East & West Philosophy of Religion, co-editor with Zhang Zhigang, Bethesda: International Scholars Publications, 1998. ISBN 1-57309-260-6.
- Искупление (The Atonement), co-editor with Natalia Pecherskaya, St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg School of Religion and Philosophy Publishers, 1999. ISBN 5-900291-14-6.
- 《欧美哲学与宗教讲演录》(Lectures on European and American Philosophy and Religion), co-editor with Zhao Dunhua, Beijing: Peking University Press, 1998. ISBN 7-301-03657-4.
- The Trinity: East/West Dialogue, Dordrecht: Kluwer, 2003, editor. ISBN 1-4020-1728-6.
- Пресвятая Троица, Russian edition, Alexander Kierlezhev editor, no ISBN number, 2001.
- 《科学与宗教的对话》(A Dialogue Between Science and Religion), co-editor with Zhou Jianzhang and Kelly James Clark, Xiamen: Xiamen University Press, 2002. ISBN 7-5615-1989-3/B-76.
- 《跨宗教对话:中国与西方》(Interfaith Dialogue: East and West), co-editor with Fu Youde and Kelly James Clark, Beijing: Social Science Publishers, 2004. ISBN 7-5004-4201-7/B.
- Philosophy of Religion, Beijing: co-editor with Xing Taotao, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2005. ISBN 7-301-09572-4/B-0333.
- 《科学与宗教的对话》(Science and Religion in Dialogue), Vol. 1, co-editor with Hao Changchi, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2007. ISBN 978-7-301-12811-4.
- 《科学与宗教：二十一 世纪时对话》(Science and Religion: 21st Century Dialogue), Vol. 2, co-editor with Xu Yingjin, Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-7-309-06310-3.
- Science and Religion in Dialogue, editor, Volume One, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2010. ISBN 978-1-4051-8921-7.
- Science and Religion in Dialogue, editor, Volume Two, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2010. ISBN 978-1-4051-8921-7.
- Dictionary of Western Philosophy, English/Pinyin/Chinese, co-author with Xu Yingjin, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-7-301-16393-1.
- 《科学与宗教：当前对话》(Science and Religion: Current Dialogue), Vol. 3, co-editor with Fu Youde, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2011. ISBN 978-7-301-12811-4.
- 《科学与宗教：二十一 世纪问题》(Science and Religion: 21st Century Issues), Vol. 4, co-editor with Xing Taotao and Xiangdong Xu, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2015. ISBN 978-7-301-25849-1
- 《科学与宗教：当前争论》(Science and Religion: Current Debate), Vol. 5, co-editor with Zhu Donghua, Beijing: Peking University Press, 2014. ISBN 978-7-301-24667-2.
- 《Наука и Религия в Диалоге (Science and Religion in Dialogue)》, Vol. 1, Natalia Pecherskaya and Melville Y. Stewart, editors, St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg School of Religion and Philosophy Publisher, 2014, ISBN 978-5-900291-32-1.
- 《Наука и Религия в Диалоге (Science and Religion in Dialogue)》, Vol. 2, St. Natalia Pecherskaya and Melville Y. Stewart, editors, St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg School of Religion and Philosophy Publisher, 2015. ISBN 978-5-900291-33-8
- "College of Arts & Sciences Catalog: Faculty". Bethel University. Retrieved 8 February 2011.